Make a cute bug costume for your 18 inch doll with this PDF pattern. Play with fabric to create a Ladybug or a Bee. There are two different wing shapes included for you to sew your bug.
The bug suit is a one piece romper with elastic cuffs at the shorts. It has a hook-and-loop closure in the back.
The wings are made from vinyl sewn together with elastic arms for easy dressing onto the doll. The wings can also be made from felt.
A headband tutorial is included using a pre-made headband and pipe cleaners to create the antennae.
Recommended Fabrics: • Medium weight woven fabrics - Cotton, quilter’s cotton. • Bee Costume – If you can find yellow and black stripe fabric, that will work. If not, then follow the instructions to create striped fabric using black bias binding or ribbon. • Ladybug Costume – Use red fabric with black dots. • Wings – Non-fray PVC Vinyl. The one I used is not the see through-type. It has a faux leather look to it.
• Fabric – Bodice – Solid color - 6” x 16”
• Fabric - Bodice Insert and Shorts – Black – 7.5” x 25”
• Fabric – Panniers – Print or Solid – 6” x 30”
• Lining – 6” x 16”
• Vinyl – Wings – 13” x 13”
Vinyl – Black Dots on Wings – 6” x 6”
• Matching threads
• Elastic - 1/4" Wide – 10” for pants and 9.5” for wings
• Hook-and-Loop Binding – 3.5” (5/8” width – cut in half to get about 1/4” wide)
• Optional for Bee stripes: 52” of 1/2" Wide black ribbon
OR Black Bias Binding – 6 or 8mm Double Fold. The binding is 1/2" wide with the sides folded in.
• Antennae: Premade doll headband that is about 1/2” wide.
(Suppliers like Punch Place Plus or Springfield at local craft stores)
• Black Pipe-cleaner – x1
• 3/8” Wide Black Ribbon – 40”
• Optional: 1/2" Pom-poms – x2
• Optional: Buttons for decoration
• Marking pen or pencil
• Loop turner or Haemostatic clamp
• Iron and ironing board
• Optional: Glue Pen or Glue stick
• Fray Blocker (Fray Check) or lighter
• Glue Gun (Antennae)
Skill Level: Easy to Intermediate
What You Get: One 21 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Sew!