Create a carry-along doll clothing closet from PVC pipe for storing your doll's favorite outfits, complete with extra space to stash shoes, hats, purses and other favorite accessories!
This PDF project plan includes instructions for building a lightweight, easy-to-carry, free-standing closet from PVC pipe. The 18-inch hanging rod provides ample room to hang several outfits using doll-sized hangers that fit a 1/2-inch rod. Instructions are also included to adapt the frame to fit hangers requiring a slightly smaller rod diameter by substituting CPVC pipe for the hanging rod.
In addition to the closet frame, instructions include pattern pieces and step-by-step photos to guide the confident beginning sewist through construction of the fabric caddy at the base of the closet. Options include a separate base insert to lend stability, as well as a sewn-in, "invisible" version for the more advanced sewist. Also included are optional dividers attached with hook-and-loop tape. Make as few or as many dividers as you wish and rearrange them in whatever manner works best to organize all of your doll's essentials!
Matilda's Closet Caddy would make a handy display tool for craft fairs and trade shows, as well as a great gift for the doll-lovers in your life!
Base Caddy: 18 in. long x 9 1/4 inches wide x 6 inches tall
Overall: 18 inches long x 9 1/4 inches wide x 18 1/2 inches tall
NOTE: Some plumbing materials used in this pattern may be unavailable in your local hardware stores but can generally be found online. Links to suggested suppliers are included on the designer's website, which is noted in the pattern.
Recommended Fabrics: cotton, lightweight denim, cotton duck
- Two 10-foot Schedule 40 rigid 1/2-inch PVC pipes (cut pieces total approximately 16 feet, not accounting for waste).
- PVC 1/2-inch fittings (slip): four 3-ways, six 4-ways, 8 elbows (45°), 2 elbows (90°)
- Optional CPVC hanger rod substitution (for smaller size hangers): 12 3/4 inches almond color CPVC CTS 1/2-inch pipe, two 3/4x1/2-inch CPVC reducing coupler fittings
- Optional: sandpaper (medium and fine grit), spray paint for plastic, contact cement
- Tools Needed: small PVC pipe cutter, measuring tape or yardstick, rubber mallet
- 2/3 yard main fabric (cotton, lightweight denim, cotton duck, lightweight canvas) for caddy exterior
- 2/3 to 1 1/3 yards fabric (cotton, lightweight denim, cotton duck, lightweight canvas) for lining and optional caddy dividers
- For optional caddy dividers: 40 inches of 3/4-inch hook-and-loop tape
- For optional base insert: chipboard, cardboard or 1/8-inch plywood (approximately 12x16 inches)
- Tools needed: T-square, box cutter or X-ACTO knife, self-healing mat, sewing machine
Skill Level: Confident Beginner
What You Get: One 44 page PVC project pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Craft!