Your 18-inch friend can sit and chat with friends, read a book or even take a nap in this versatile pull-out Sleeper Chair from AptOne8!
This PDF project download includes instructions for building a chair frame from CPVC pipe, including tips for prepping your pipes and step-by-step construction photos to help with assembly.
Also included are pattern pieces and detailed instructions for creating the three-section chair cushion. The cushion is attached to the chair frame with a hook-and-loop tape strap, which helps keep the cushion in place when it is folded out into a bed. Zippered backs in each cushion section also allow for easy removal of the upholstery foam inside, which means the cushion cover may be laundered as needed or switched out for an entirely different look!
The sewing and construction skills needed for this project are fairly basic; however, it is very important that you follow the instructions precisely when assembling the chair cushions so they fold and unfold correctly when you are finished.
Also included is a bonus pattern to create a cute Side Table with a stained wood top. Complete the look with the matching AptOne8 Sleeper Sofa, also available from Pixie Faire!
NOTE: Some plumbing materials used in this pattern may be unavailable in your local hardware stores but can generally be found online. Links to suggested suppliers are included on the designer's website, which is noted in the pattern.
Chair Frame: 8 1/4 in. wide x 7 7/8 in. tall x 8 1/4 in. deep
Chair Height including Cushion: 9 3/4 in.
Folded Out Bed Cushion: 6 1/2 in. wide x 18 1/2 in. long
Table: 6 in. wide x 5 1/2 in tall
Recommended Fabrics: cotton, lightweight denim, home decorating fabrics
- 8 feet almond color CPVC CTS pipe - 1/2 inch
- CPVC 1/2-inch fittings (slip): 26 tees, four 90° elbows, 2 couplings, 6 end caps
- 6 flat head 6x1/2 wood screws
- Optional: sandpaper (medium and fine grit), spray paint for plastic, contact cement
- Tools Needed: small PVC pipe cutter, Phillips screwdriver, measuring tape or yardstick, power drill, size 3/32 or 7/64 drill bit
- 1/2 yard fabric (cotton, lightweight denim, cotton duck, lightweight canvas) for outside chair cushion
- 1/3 yard fabric (cotton, lightweight denim, cotton duck, lightweight canvas) for fold-out bed side of cushion
- 1-inch thick upholstery foam (enough for one 7x6 1/2-inch slab)
- 1 1/2-inch* thick upholstery foam (enough for one 5 1/2x6 1/2-inch slab and one 6x6 1/2-inch slab) *Layered 1-inch and 1/2-inch foam may be substituted for 1 1/2-inch foam by gluing the layers together with spray adhesive.
- Three 5-inch vinyl zippers
- 6 inches of 3/4-inch hook-and-loop tape
- Tools needed: serrated bread knife, sewing machine
- 2 feet almond color CPVC CTS pipe - 1/2 inch
- CPVC 1/2-inch fittings (slip): 6 tees, four 90° elbows, 7 couplings, 4 end caps
- One 6-inch diameter wood circle (1/8- to 3/8-inch thick)
- Wood stain (spray, gel or liquid)
- E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive
- Cotton rags, sponge applicator or paint brush
- Fine-grit (P-220) sandpaper
- Optional: sandpaper (medium and fine grit), spray paint for plastic, contact cement or PVC cement, clear acrylic spray
- Tools Needed: small PVC pipe cutter, measuring tape or yardstick, rubber gloves
Skill Level: Intermediate (Chair); Beginner (Side Table)
What You Get: One 67 page PVC project pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Craft!