Whether your 18-inch doll is short on space or just wants a fun alternative to a regular sofa and bed, this pull-out Sleeper Sofa will make a great addition to your dollhouse or play area!
This PDF project download includes instructions for building a sofa frame from CPVC pipe, including tips for prepping your pipes and step-by-step construction photos to help with assembly.
Also included are pattern pieces and detailed instructions for creating the three-section sofa cushion. The cushion is attached to the sofa frame with hook-and-loop tape straps, which helps keep the cushion in place when it is folded out into a bed. Zippered backs in each cushion section also allow for easy removal of the upholstery foam inside, which means the cushion cover may be laundered as needed or switched out for an entirely different look!
The sewing and construction skills needed for this project are fairly basic; however, it is very important that you follow the instructions precisely when assembling the sofa cushions so they fold and unfold correctly when you are finished.
NOTE: Some plumbing materials used in this pattern may be unavailable in your local hardware stores but can generally be found online. Links to suggested suppliers are included on the designer's website, which is noted in the pattern.
Frame: 15 1/2 in. wide x 7 7/8 in. tall x 8 1/4 in. deep
Sofa Height including Cushion: 9 3/4 in.
Folded Out Bed Cushion: 14 in. wide x 18 1/2 in. long
Recommended Fabrics: cotton, lightweight denim, home decorating fabrics
- 11 feet almond color CPVC CTS pipe - 1/2 inch
- CPVC 1/2-inch fittings (slip): 34 tees, four 90° elbows, 2 couplings, 6 end caps
- 6 flat head 6x1/2 wood screws
- Optional: sandpaper (medium and fine grit), spray paint for plastic, contact cement
- Tools Needed: small PVC pipe cutter, Phillips screwdriver, measuring tape or yardstick, power drill, size 3/32 or 7/64 drill bit
- 2/3 yard fabric (cotton, lightweight denim, cotton duck, lightweight canvas) for outside sofa cushion
- 1/2 yard fabric (cotton, lightweight denim, cotton duck, lightweight canvas) for fold-out bed side of cushion
- 1-inch thick upholstery foam (enough for one 7x14-inch slab)
- 1 1/2-inch* thick upholstery foam (enough for one 5 1/2x14-inch slab and one 6x14-inch slab) *Layered 1-inch and 1/2-inch foam may be substituted for 1 1/2-inch foam by gluing the layers together with spray adhesive.
- Three 11-inch vinyl zippers
- 12 inches of 3/4-inch hook-and-loop tape
- Tools needed: serrated bread knife, sewing machine
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 49 page PVC project pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Craft!