It is the Inventor who uses their talent and imagination to create the marvels of the steampunk world. Ceaseless tinkering, designing and occasionally blowing things up – the Inventor is a quintessential steampunk archetype.
The steampunk movement is built on Victorian science fiction. As such, steampunk fashion uses the Victorian and Edwardian eras as a basis and builds from there. One steampunk blogger advises “dress Victorian and then add”. It’s the additions – gears and gadgets - that make steampunk so fun. This pattern bundle includes not only the basic clothing pieces – Knickerbockers, Shirt and Utility Bustle – but also some fun goggles! This PDF sewing pattern is designed to fit 18 inch dolls such as American Girl®.
Complete the outfit with the Kelibu Steampunk Inventor Boots!
Recommended Fabrics: (Knickerbockers) mid-weight cotton, linen, wool or blends, faux leather, moleskin, (Shirt) light to mid-weight cotton, linen or blends, (Utility Belt) vinyl or lightweight leather, (Goggles) vinyl or lightweight leather
• 1/3 yard or meter of mid-weight cotton, linen, wool or blends, faux leather, moleskin
• 4 x ½ inch buttons
• 5 sets of sew-in snaps
• Sharp/universal needle
• Matching thread
• 5 – 5 ½ inches of 3/8 inch wide elastic
• Dressmakers transfer paper and tracing wheel or some other kind of marking pen/tailor’s chalk and a ruler
Funnel Neck Shirt:
• ¼ yard of light to mid-weight cotton, linen or blends
• 16 inch by 7 inch piece of light weight cotton, linen or blends for lining (if not using the same fabric as main shirt fabric)
• 8 inch by 7 inch piece of interfacing. I prefer knit tricot interfacing but use your favourite
• 10 x 5/16 inch wide brads (regular brads), rivets or shank style buttons OR
• 10 x jump rings, 5 lobster clasps and 5-6 inches of chain
• Optional – If you are using brads or rivets, 8 inches of selvage edge or twill tape
• 21 inches of thin (about 1/16 inch wide) cording. It’s best to choose a cording that is woven or has some tooth to it and no stiffness – hemp, cotton, drapery cord and poly satin cord/rat tail work well
• Tailor’s chalk, disappearing ink pen or similar marking implement
• Sharp/universal needle and matching thread
• 9 inches by 5 inches of vinyl or light-weight leather for the belt
• 22 inches by 10 inches of non-ravelling fabric such as lace or mesh for the flounces. You can use the same fabric for all the flounces, or use different fabrics:
o Lower flounce – 10 inches by 10 inches
o Middle flounce – 8 inches by 8 inches
o Top flounce – 6 inches by 6 inches
• 5/8 inch by 3 ½ inch strip of contrast/complimentary leather or vinyl
• 3/8 inch by 2 ½ inch strip of contrast/complimentary leather or vinyl
• 2 x ¾ inch wide D-rings
• 2 x 5/16 inch brads (regular) and 4 x 3/16 inch brads (mini)
• 2 halo snaps OR 2 inches of 3/8 inch wide hook and loop tape OR 2 sew-in snaps
• Awl or leather punch
• Vinyl/leather needle
• Matching thread
• Optional – mini tools
• Optional – gears, tiny bottles, tiny clocks etc. for decoration
• 3 inches by 4 inches of vinyl or light-weight leather
• 2 brass lock nuts (3/4 inch size pictured in this pattern) – meant for bathroom sinks and found in the plumbing section of hardware stores
• Alternative: 4 x ½ inch conduit locknuts – these are thinner than the brass locknuts and bigger around. The clear plastic lenses can be sandwiched between two locknuts.
• 4 x 3/16 inch brads (mini)
• 8 ½ - 9 inches of ¼ inch or 3/8 inch wide elastic
• Craft glue such as Amazing Goop that will adhere to vinyl/leather and metal
• Optional: small piece of clear, thin, rigid plastic. Fruit/veggie containers or product packaging works great. You will need this if you want to add lenses to your goggles
Optional supplies if you want to add a loupe to your goggles:
• ½ inch stainless steel surlok clamp for PEX pipe. Also found in the plumbing section of hardware stores. Alternately, you could use a 5/8 inch hose clamp.
• Size 4 brass machine screw that is ¾ inches long plus one brass nut to fit the screw
• 1 ¼ inch (or smaller) alligator clip. These are found in the electrical section of hardware stores
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 69 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!