Grab your favorite fabric scraps, your glue gun and some basic plumbing materials and build a simple side chair for your 18-inch doll! Or better yet, make several so that all of her friends will have a place to sit with her!
This PDF project download includes instructions for building a basic side chair from CPVC pipe, including tips for prepping your pipes and step-by-step construction photos to help with assembly.
Also included are pattern pieces and detailed instructions for creating the padded fabric seat cushion... no sewing required! The cushion is attached to the chair frame with plastic tubing scraps and machine screws, with the addition of acorn nuts for added safety during play and a more finished look. This project goes together quickly and easily for most beginners who are comfortable using a hot glue gun and basic pipe cutting tools.
Approximately 5 inches wide x 5 1/2 inches deep x 8 inches tall
NOTE: Some plumbing materials used in this pattern may be unavailable in your local hardware stores but can generally be found online. Links to suggested suppliers are included on the designer's website, which is noted in the pattern.
Recommended Fabrics: cotton, denim, corduroy, home decorating fabrics
- 3 feet almond color CPVC CTS pipe - 1/2 inch
- CPVC 1/2-inch fittings (slip): 6 tees, 12 couplings, four 90° elbows, 4 end caps
- Four #6 32x1/2-inch machine screws
- Four #6 32x1/2-inch screw nuts
- Four #6 32x1/2-inch acorn nuts (optional)
- Two 1/2-inch plastic tubing straps
- Chipboard (enough for one 4x4-inch piece and one 4.5x4.5-inch piece)
- 1/4 yard fabric (or enough for one 6.5x6.5-inch piece and one 5x5-inch piece)
- 1/2-inch thick quilt batting (enough for two 5x5-inch pieces)
- Optional: sandpaper (medium and fine grit), spray paint for plastic, contact cement or PVC cement
- Tools Needed: small PVC pipe cutter, needle nose pliers, T-square or metal straight edge, box cutter, self-healing mat, hole punch, hot glue gun & glue sticks, measuring tape or yardstick
Skill Level: Beginner
What You Get: One 28 page PVC project pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Craft!
Hi The side chair turned out very nice and my granddaughter loved it . The only problem I had was the list if supplies, in one list , cvp pipe was listed and in another cvpc pipe was listed, there is a huge difference in size between the two pipes, therefore making a sufficient difference in the finished product . The cvpc pipe (beige) makes a better size suited for a 18” American girl doll Sharon Koethler
I have made the chair and really like it.but I also got the sitting chair and sofa that I redid the pattern to suit me because I couldn't get it to fit together. Thank you very much love the patterns though.
This is a project that any beginner can assemble. I love sewing, but it was really fun to do such a cute "no sew" project. Great project, with fun extra table tutorial online. I feel like a broken record saying this......but again another win! =)
Fast and easy pattern and works well with the table made from a picture. Will be cute in any girls kitchen.