Add a touch of realism to your pool party fun with a doll-sized lifeguard chair, complete with rescue accessories!
This intermediate-level PDF pattern download includes step-by-step photo instructions for building a lifeguard chair frame from CPVC pipe, as well as pattern pieces and instructions for sewing a simple fabric seat and back attached to the frame with hook-and-loop tape. A print-ready image is included for use with opaque iron-on transfer paper to add the "LIFEGUARD" motif to the chair front and back.
Minimal basic sewing is needed for this project, making it suitable for beginning sewists; however, construction of the chair frame is a bit more complex and requires the ability to read and follow detailed assembly instructions.
Also included is a bonus tutorial with easy instructions for making a lifeguard throw ring and rescue hook. The lifeguard chair is designed with hooks to hold both accessories so they'll be ready at a moment's notice should your 18-inch swimmers find themselves in need of rescue!
This pattern is part of the Pool Party Collection by AptOne8. Look for compatible patterns at Pixie Faire, including an oval swimming pool and a chaise lounge chair!
For even more pool party fun, check out the Doll Tag Clothing Fun-flatables patterns and the Peppermintsticks Splash Zone swimsuit pattern.
Approximately 6 3/4 inches wide by 8 inches deep by 22 1/4 inches tall
Recommended Fabrics: cotton duck, canvas, denim
- Two 10-foot almond color CPVC CTS pipes - 1/2 inch (cut pieces total approximately 12 feet, not accounting for waste)
- CPVC 1/2-inch fittings (slip): 33 tees, 7 elbows (90°), 5 end caps
- Optional: sandpaper (medium and fine grit), spray paint for plastic, contact cement
- Tools needed: small PVC pipe cutter, measuring tape or yardstick
- 1/3 yard fabric (cotton duck, canvas, denim - Wrong side will be visible on chair back. White fabric is recommended for use with the iron-on transfer image.)
- 10 inches of 3/4-inch wide hook-and-loop tape (or 20 inches of 3/8-inch wide hook-and-loop tape)
- Opaque heat transfer paper for inkjet printers (optional)
- Tools needed: Sewing machine, seam gauge, inkjet printer
LIFEGUARD THROW RING:
- 14 inches of cording or lightweight rope
- One small (3- to 5-inch diameter) polystyrene (ie. styrofoam) ring (sometimes called a "wreath")
- Red 1/2-inch wide electrical tape
- Tools needed: Scissors
LIFEGUARD RESCUE HOOK:
- Wire clothes hanger
- 18 inches of 1/4x3/8-inch H/C Pex tubing (Sold in 5-foot
lengths in the plumbing department; not flexible tubing sold by the foot)
- Two colors of 1/2-inch wide electrical tape
- Tools needed: Wire cutters, scissors
NOTE: Some plumbing materials used in this pattern may be unavailable in your local hardware stores but can generally be found online. Links to suggested suppliers are included on the designer's website, which is noted in the pattern.
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 41 page PVC project pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Craft!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
Pixie Faire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®.
I had the pleasure of testing this pattern and it even though there are a lot of pieces it was not difficult at all! All the parts were readily available. It went together very quickly. The extras are also very easy and really add to the chair.