You can expect lots of happy tail-wagging when you whip up this pet-sized doghouse for your 18-inch doll's favorite furry friend!
This beginner-level PDF pattern download includes step-by-step photo instructions for building a doghouse frame from CPVC pipe, as well as pattern pieces and instructions for sewing a fabric cover and a foam-lined, removable roof, all attached using hook-and-loop tape. Additional features include a full lining and built-in fabric floor.
Approximately 7 1/2 inches wide by 10 1/2 inches deep by 10 1/2 inches tall (at peak). Doorway opening measures approximately 3 inches wide by 4 3/4 inches tall.
Recommended Fabrics: cotton, denim, canvas
- 6 feet of almond color CPVC CTS pipe - 1/2 inch (cut pieces total approximately 70 inches, not accounting for waste)
- CPVC 1/2-inch fittings (slip): 2 tees, 6 elbows (45°), 7 elbows (90°)
- Optional: sandpaper (medium and fine grit), spray paint for plastic, contact cement
- Tools Needed: small PVC pipe cutter, measuring tape or yardstick
- 1/3 yard* fabric for doghouse (cotton, denim, canvas) *Additional yardage may be needed if matching striped or patterned fabrics.
- 1/4 yard fabric for roof (cotton, denim, canvas)
- 2/3 yard lining fabric for doghouse and roof (cotton)
- 15 1/8 inches of 3/4-inch wide hook-and-loop tape (or 30 1/4 inches of 3/8-inch wide hook-and-loop tape)
- Two 9x12-inch 6mm foam sheets
- 12 1/2 inches extra-wide double fold bias tape
- Tools needed: Sewing machine, seam gauge, ruler
NOTE: Some plumbing materials used in this pattern may be unavailable in your local hardware stores but can generally be found online. Links to suggested suppliers are included on the designer's website, which is noted in the pattern.
Skill Level: Beginner
What You Get: One 47 page PVC project pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Craft!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
Pixie Faire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®.
This was so easy to put together, I had a great time finding a fabric that looks like brightly colored roof tiles and with the velcro roof attachment, the kids can just lift one side to keep playing with their pets inside the house. The frame is sturdy and can be glued or is secure enough without it so that is can be disassembled in sections for storage. I can see many hours of play time with this one for my girls!
This was a fun and simple pattern, quick to put together. So much nicer than a plastic carrier!
This is a great pattern and easy to make. Directions are easy to follow. Your child will love having a special place for her doll's pets. I hardly had it together and my daughter was playing with it. :-)