It is the Inventor who uses their talent and imagination to create the marvels of the steampunk world. Ceaseless tinkering, designing and occasionally blowing things up – the Inventor is a quintessential steampunk archetype.
The steampunk movement is built on Victorian science fiction. As such, steampunk fashion uses the Victorian and Edwardian eras as a basis and builds from there. One steampunk blogger advises “dress Victorian and then add”. It’s the additions – gears and gadgets - that make steampunk so fun. This pattern bundle includes not only the basic clothing pieces – Knickerbockers, Shirt and Utility Bustle – but also some fun goggles! This PDF sewing pattern is designed to fit 18 inch dolls such as American Girl®.
Complete the outfit with the Kelibu Steampunk Inventor Boots!
Recommended Fabrics: (Knickerbockers) mid-weight cotton, linen, wool or blends, faux leather, moleskin, (Shirt) light to mid-weight cotton, linen or blends, (Utility Belt) vinyl or lightweight leather, (Goggles) vinyl or lightweight leather
• 1/3 yard or meter of mid-weight cotton, linen, wool or blends, faux leather, moleskin
• 4 x ½ inch buttons
• 5 sets of sew-in snaps
• Sharp/universal needle
• Matching thread
• 5 – 5 ½ inches of 3/8 inch wide elastic
• Dressmakers transfer paper and tracing wheel or some other kind of marking pen/tailor’s chalk and a ruler
Funnel Neck Shirt:
• ¼ yard of light to mid-weight cotton, linen or blends
• 16 inch by 7 inch piece of light weight cotton, linen or blends for lining (if not using the same fabric as main shirt fabric)
• 8 inch by 7 inch piece of interfacing. I prefer knit tricot interfacing but use your favourite
• 10 x 5/16 inch wide brads (regular brads), rivets or shank style buttons OR
• 10 x jump rings, 5 lobster clasps and 5-6 inches of chain
• Optional – If you are using brads or rivets, 8 inches of selvage edge or twill tape
• 21 inches of thin (about 1/16 inch wide) cording. It’s best to choose a cording that is woven or has some tooth to it and no stiffness – hemp, cotton, drapery cord and poly satin cord/rat tail work well
• Tailor’s chalk, disappearing ink pen or similar marking implement
• Sharp/universal needle and matching thread
• 9 inches by 5 inches of vinyl or light-weight leather for the belt
• 22 inches by 10 inches of non-ravelling fabric such as lace or mesh for the flounces. You can use the same fabric for all the flounces, or use different fabrics:
o Lower flounce – 10 inches by 10 inches
o Middle flounce – 8 inches by 8 inches
o Top flounce – 6 inches by 6 inches
• 5/8 inch by 3 ½ inch strip of contrast/complimentary leather or vinyl
• 3/8 inch by 2 ½ inch strip of contrast/complimentary leather or vinyl
• 2 x ¾ inch wide D-rings
• 2 x 5/16 inch brads (regular) and 4 x 3/16 inch brads (mini)
• 2 halo snaps OR 2 inches of 3/8 inch wide hook and loop tape OR 2 sew-in snaps
• Awl or leather punch
• Vinyl/leather needle
• Matching thread
• Optional – mini tools
• Optional – gears, tiny bottles, tiny clocks etc. for decoration
• 3 inches by 4 inches of vinyl or light-weight leather
• 2 brass lock nuts (3/4 inch size pictured in this pattern) – meant for bathroom sinks and found in the plumbing section of hardware stores
• Alternative: 4 x ½ inch conduit locknuts – these are thinner than the brass locknuts and bigger around. The clear plastic lenses can be sandwiched between two locknuts.
• 4 x 3/16 inch brads (mini)
• 8 ½ - 9 inches of ¼ inch or 3/8 inch wide elastic
• Craft glue such as Amazing Goop that will adhere to vinyl/leather and metal
• Optional: small piece of clear, thin, rigid plastic. Fruit/veggie containers or product packaging works great. You will need this if you want to add lenses to your goggles
Optional supplies if you want to add a loupe to your goggles:
• ½ inch stainless steel surlok clamp for PEX pipe. Also found in the plumbing section of hardware stores. Alternately, you could use a 5/8 inch hose clamp.
• Size 4 brass machine screw that is ¾ inches long plus one brass nut to fit the screw
• 1 ¼ inch (or smaller) alligator clip. These are found in the electrical section of hardware stores
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 69 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
I just finished the knickers, and they were AWESOME! I found them very easy to make. I'm sewing for a 5 yr old (Sissy has an 18" doll and she wants one too). I used Velcro to close them and sewed buttons on them for decoration. So cute!
love it very cool
Just bought the pattern, read it through and can't wait to start this steampunk adventure! I love to tinker so the goggles and belt are going to be great fun. I will let you know how it works out.
I have made the pants and top .I was pleased how easy the pants were to make. Cute pattern.
This is a very fun outfit. The instructions are well written and easy to follow. Results were great. The hardest part of the activity is finding the tools in the right size and getting the goggles to look okay. It was easy to give this pattern a 5 stars.