During the 1920s jazz age and the later swing era, women wore "Unmentionables" shaped with long widened legs that sat just below the waist. Often paired with a matching Bralette or Bandeau, they could be made of everything from slinky, luxurious silks to soft lightweight cottons. Overseas they were often referred to as "French Knickers," and in the United States they were usually called "Tap Pants," probably because of their resemblance to dance wear. Sometimes they were even gathered into bloomers! During the 1930s and beyond shorts became popular and echoed the shape of the formerly unmentionable Tap Pants through the early 1950s. The Vintage Tap Pants pattern plays with all of these themes: shorts with pleats and schoolgirl suspenders, simpler shorts following the dance wear trend, and an authentic replica of Bloomers and French Knickers. A Bonus pattern for a Bandeau is also included so your dolls can have an elegant set of Unmentionables to wear underneath her stylish vintage outfits. Happy Sewing!
This PDF sewing pattern is designed to fit 18" dolls such as American Girl®.
Recommended Fabrics: Option 1 and 2: Light-weight denim, twill, quilter's weight cottons, or other similar fabrics. For the Yoke Facing: lightweight fabrics such as lawn or batiste. Option 3: Light weight cottons such as lawn or batiste, lightweight silk chambray, or other similar fabrics for the French Knickers and Bloomers. For the Yoke Facings and Bandeau Lining: lightweight fabrics such as lawn or batiste.
- Option 1 (Suspender Shorts): ½ Yd. of 45" wide fabric for a straight grain layout OR ¼ yd. of 45" wide fabric for a cross grain layout; 1/6 yd. fabric for Facings
- Option 2 (Shorts): ¼ yd. of 45" wide main fabric; 1/6 yd. fabric for Facings
- Option 3 (Bandeau and French Knickers/Bloomers): ¼ yd. of 45" wide fabric
1. Matching thread and optional contrast thread
2. One pair of small, very sharp scissors to trim seam allowances
4. Two medium-sized snaps for the shorts closure OR Hook-and-Loop tape
5. Optional: Fray Check®
6. Very Important: A Measuring Tape to measure your doll's waist!
For Option 1 Add:
1. Four ¼" buttons
2. Two medium-sized snaps (for a total of four snaps needed altogether)
For Option 3 Add:
1. Approximately 15" of ¼" - 3/8" lace for the French Knickers/Bloomers
2. Two medium-sized snaps for the Bandeau (for a total of four snaps altogether)
3. Two pieces of ¼" wide elastic cut 5-1/2" long for the Bloomers
4. Two pieces of 1/4" - 3/8" lace or decorative elastic cut 5-1/4" long for the Bandeau
5. 6" of 1/8" ribbon to make a tiny bow for the Bandeau
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 51 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces.This pattern includes a 7 page Summary of Instructions section so you can print out just the text version if desired to save on printer ink! A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
Pixie Faire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®.
I havnt gotton the patterns as of yet
Absolutely wonderful, great addition to both my patterns and my doll wardrobe!
Absolutely darling also going to extend to make flair evening pants. Keep up the great patterns!