The Hibiscus Sandals, by Genniewren Designs, are cute, fun flip flops that are perfect for your holiday in the sun.
The floral accent adds a cute touch to these easy-to-make slip on sandals, and the touch of bling around the edge of the sole adds an aura of sophistication.
The vinyl uppers can be topstitched to add a high-end look or if you leave out the topstitching then this pattern can be made with no sewing at all.
If you prefer you can add purchased fabric flowers to your sandals, add some fancy bling, or just leave them plain.
The plain style is perfect for boys, especially when made in more masculine colors.
The Hibiscus Sandals pattern is compatible with the Pixie Faire Size 1 pre-cut foam and board soles. A sole template is included, should you wish to cut your own soles from cork, board, craft foam, or any other suitable material you may already have on hand.
A bonus shoe bag pattern is included, so you can keep your blingy sandals shiny and new.
Recommended Fabrics: This sandals pattern is designed to be used with imitation leather such as marine vinyl, home dec vinyl, or glitter vinyl (the kind where the glitter is under the top layer of the fabric rather than glued to the outside). Choose flexible vinyl approximately 1 mm thick and without a fleecy backing. Before you purchase the vinyl, feel it and try to stretch it. If the vinyl is too thin the shoes may stretch out of shape. If it is too stiff it will be harder to work with. The thickness of the vinyl will also affect the fit of the shoes. The bag is designed to be made from medium to light weight woven fabrics such as quilter’s cottons, poplin, percale, lawn.
FOR THE SANDALS:
- A 4” square of vinyl for the sandal uppers.
- Small scraps of spare vinyl for the flowers and leaves
- Two small buttons or sequins for the flower centers.
- 2 x 2mm Pixie Packs size 1 precut foam soles or a 4” square of 2mm foam for the lower soles.
- 2 x 6mm Pixie Packs size 1 precut foam soles or a 4” square of 6mm foam for the upper soles.
FOR THE SHOE BAG:
- 2 pieces of woven fabric, each 5” x 7”
- 1 yard of 3/8” wide ribbon.
YOU WILL ALSO NEED:
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks or your preferred glue type for making doll shoes.
- Spare pieces of card
- Clothes pins (the type with springs).
- Sharp scissors or a craft knife for cutting out the uppers and soles.
- FrayCheck™ for sealing the topstitching. Or you could use a very small amount of glue.
- Quilter’s template plastic for tracing the pattern, or some card to glue the pattern pieces to so that you can draw around them onto the back of your vinyl. If your printer supports cardstock, try printing the pattern sheet on card to make it easier to trace the upper pieces onto the vinyl.
Skill Level: Quick and Easy
What You Get: One 23 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
PixieFaire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®.
The Cables and Lace dress pattern, by Genniewren Designs, includes a dress, and a shorter version...
I was fortunate enough to be one of the testers for Genine’s Pattern. I opted to use fabric instead of vinyl for the straps. Turning the fabric right sides out was a little challenging, but achievable. I would suggest adding 1/16” to the width of the tab marked with a star on the pattern to make turning the fabric a little easier. The instructions and photos are clear and concise and are easy to follow. These sandals should be an essential part of your dolls wardrobe. Kudos, Genine! Your creative continues to inspire me.