The Royal Wedding 1981 - Diana's Bouquet craft pattern is designed to help you recreate a scaled-down 18" doll-sized version of Lady Diana Spencer's wedding bouquet.
The pattern features step by step photo instructions and very clear diagrams explaining how to build a bouquet from scratch, using a small plastic funnel as a posy holder.
The bouquet is built using mini silk and plastic flowers 1.25" (3cm) or smaller, and appropriately sized greenery. Templates are included for creating flowers and leaves from your own fabric, and the pattern also features instructions for cutting down larger silk flowers and leaves to create smaller versions more appropriate for doll scale projects.
Also included is some historical information giving details of the original bouquet, and the Victorian floriographical meanings of the flowers and greenery chosen by Diana for her wedding day.
This PDF crafting pattern by Genniewren Designs, is designed for use with 18" dolls such as American Girl®.
Be sure to check out the companion Royal Wedding 1981 patterns: The Groom, The Bride, and Machine Embroidery Design Set, so you can re-create a special day!
- One small plastic perfume funnel approximately 2 1/2"/6cm tall and 2 1/8"/5.5cm diameter at the top edge;
- A 1.5"/3.5cm cube of Oasis dry flower arranging foam (not the green one used for fresh flowers) OR 75g of air drying clay;
- One small button ⅜"/9mm diameter (dry foam option only);
- 1 package (approx 25) of 26 Gauge or 30 Gauge green wrapped florist wires (or if you prefer you can use the paper wrapped florist wire from a spool);
- 1 reel of ½"/1.3cm wide green florist tape
- Strong sewing thread, beading wire or fine monofilament fishing line;
- 25 – 30 small silk or paper flowers 1¼"/3cm or smaller, OR a similar number of larger flowers that you can cut down to size, OR you can make flowers from fabric using the templates provided;
- Silk and plastic leaves of a similar size to the flowers (you can cut down larger ones);
- 1 package of size 6.0 seed beads (for the centers of reconstructed and hand made flowers)
- Fray blocking fluid
- Clear-drying PVA craft glue,
- Fast-drying glue (hot glue is acceptable);
- Permanent markers for drawing veins etc. on the flowers and leaves;
- 14"/35cm of 2"/5cm wide white or ivory lace;
- 2 clear elastic hair bands (to enable your doll to "hold" the bouquet);
- Around 8"/20cm of ½"/1.2cm white or ivory ribbon or Fold Over Elastic (FOE).
- If you prefer to make the flowers and/or leaves yourself then you will need small pieces (4" x 4"/ 20cm square) suitably colored fabric scraps. I used scraps of quilting cottons, ripstop nylon, organza and chiffon.
TOOLS YOU WILL NEED
- Craft scissors (please do not use your good sewing scissors, even for cutting down larger silk flowers as they may have been treated with stiffeners etc.);
- A craft knife for carving the dry florist foam;
- A sharp No 2 (HB) pencil to trace the flower shapes onto your fabric;
- Small sharp scissors for cutting fabric;
- An awl for piercing holes in the center of the fabric flowers (or you can use sharp scissors)
- Wire cutters;
- Snipe nosed jewellery pliers;
- Quilters' template plastic or thin clear plastic to trace the pattern templates (or you could use cardstock if you prefer);
- A small diameter knitting needle (US size 1 or size 0) or a large sewing pin.
- If you are using air dry clay you will also need a pill pot with a flexible plastic lid that you can cut a hole in, or a shot glass to balance the bouquet in while you are working on it.
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 42 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available
Download, Print, Create!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
Pixie Faire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®