Modelled after the Desert Boots of the 1960's these boots have a simple sleek styling with an ankle high upper. They lace snugly over the instep with a unique lacing design in which the laces are threaded through the tongue of the boot as well as the eyelets. Designed to be made in soft pliable leather, suede or similar materials. This pattern by BramBelles Boutique is designed to fit a 20" doll like the Australian Girl® doll or the 18" American Girl® doll or dolls of similar size, and would suit either a boy or girl doll as a casual boot for work or play.
Recommended Fabrics: Soft pliable Leather (.5 - 1.5 mm thick), marine vinyl, decorator weight faux suede, Ultrasuede, sueded vinyl,
• Piece of soft Leather approx. 7” x 10”
• Scraps of fabric for inner sole lining
• Piece of ¼” Foam Core Board or 6mm foam sheeting approx. 5” x 4” for sole.
• Thin piece of card for inner sole (5” x 4”)
• Small piece Quilt batting for inner sole padding (5” x 4”)
• 2mm foam or leather strip for trim
• 30” waxed cord or pair of 15” shoelaces
• Shrink tube plastic (5mm). 2-inch piece cut into 4 equal pieces
• Glue suitable for Leather
• Hot glue gun and glue sticks
• Leather punch
• Hairdryer or heat gun
• Craft glue suitable for fabric card etc. (any white drying clear craft glue like a PVA glue)
• Small bulldog clips
• Soft marking pencil for marking the leather
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 22 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
PixieFaire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®
The No-Sew Desert Boots for 18" dolls are fantastic! They are a bit difficult, but if you make them 'One Step at a Time', with a little practice you will be making perfect boots. I tend to want to go too fast as I work when I'm "just gluing", but found that when I took it slowly, giving everything time to stick and adhere, they came together beautifully; after two or three tries. I'm good, but I ain't perfect. Smile! So, whether you are a beginner or better, give them a try. You won't be sorry.
This is a great pattern and a lot of fun to make; however, the boots ended up WAY too big for the doll's foot. I double-checked the size to make sure it was correct before starting, and I made sure I used the 18" pattern instead of the 20" pattern. I'm going to play with the pattern to see if I can get a better fit....