This pattern bundle, by Genniewren Designs, contains three patterns that are required by both genders for Highland Dance uniforms or for Highland Dress: The Highland Kilt, the Highland Socks and the Ghillies patterns.
Each of the patterns are also available separately. Please click on the links above to find more detailed information about each of the included patterns, and see the listing image for all of the individual and bundled Highland patterns available.
Recommended Fabrics: Kilt - woven light to mid weight plaid fabric, e.g. flannel, viscose/wool mix or cotton shirting fabric; Socks, teeshirt knit fabric, Ghillies - soft leather, marine vinyl or similar weight leather-look fabrics
- 1/4 yard of 60” wide woven plaid fabric cut from the bolt (you need the full width of the fabric). If you cannot get 60" wide fabric then you will need to join the fabric, matching the plaid pattern accurately. If you wish to use printed tartan fabric, then this is OK for the kilt but it will not be any good for the fly plaid. The fly plaid is not always worn and is not worn for Highland Dance.
- 1/4 yard of 44"wide woven cotton or polycotton fabric for the kilt lining
- 7” x 4” of Lightweight fusible interfacing
- 2.5” square of Vinyl/ leather or leatherette for the kilt straps
- 2 x Small buckles to take 1/4” straps
- 2 x Small sew on snaps OR 4” of 1/4" wide ultra thin hook and loop tape (both sides)
- 12” x 6” marine vinyl, leatherette or soft leather
- 2 yards of 1mm round black elastic, or leatherette jewellery cord for the laces
- 4” x 4” square of card or chipboard for the inner soles*
- 4” x 4” square of 2mm craft foam for the outer soles*
* if you prefer, you can use the Pixie Faire Size 1 precut soles. You will need 2 card soles and 2 foam soles.
-Glue suitable for doll shoe making – either hot glue sticks for a glue gun, or a tube of any type of glue suitable for the fabric you are using. Please note that some glues will melt vinyl fabric, so check the manufacturer’s use guidelines carefully before purchasing glue for doll shoe making.
- 8 x ¼” eyelets for eyelet option ghillies
10” x 14” of 100% cotton teeshirt knit fabric.
- 8” of ½” wide tartan plaid ribbon (Male Highland Dress only)
- Fray blocking fluid
- Inkjet transfer printer paper for fabrics (if you wish to iron the sock design onto your fabric).
- Fabric markers in the colors to match your chosen kilt plaid (to trace the sock design onto your fabric)
- You may also find a light box helpful if you are tracing the sock design, or you can tape the printable to a window pane to trace the Argyle pattern.
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 56 page sewing pattern, one 35 page pattern, and one 21 page pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. Each pattern contains a Summary of Instructions section so you can print out just the text version if desired to save on printer ink! A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
Pixie Faire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®