The Eyelet Rib Cardigan is designed to fit the 16" vinyl-bodied A Girl For All Time® dolls.
Inspired by a World War 2 Utility knitting pattern, this cardigan is designed to be knitted from used yarn unravelled from an old sweater. When knitted in subtle colors it is just perfect for Clementine® or one of her evacuee friends.
The V-necked cardigan has ribbed welts, a garter stitch neckline, and fastens at the front with four buttons. The body of the cardigan is knitted in one piece up to the armholes so there are no side seams to sew. There is a choice of elbow-length or wrist-length set-in sleeves.
The simple but effective eyelet rib pattern is worked over 6 rows. It creates texture and adds interest to the otherwise plain design required by Utility garments at that time. The eyelet rib pattern also allows a certain amount of extra stretch which was necessary for growing children when clothing was in such short supply.
When knitted in bright colors the Eyelet Rib Cardigan would not look out of place in a modern setting and is perfect for all year round wear. It will fast become one of your A Girl For All Time® doll’s favourite sweaters.
The pattern also includes background information relating to clothes rationing and the utility regulations adopted by Britain during the Second World War.
Recommended Fabrics: Fingering or Sock Yarn (UK/SA/Aus/NZ 3ply/4ply)
- One pair of US Size 2 (metric 2.75 mm) knitting needles (or whatever size you need to achieve the stated gauge)
- One Pair of US Size 0 (metric 2 mm) knitting needles
- One US Size 3 (metric 3.25 mm) knitting needle – used only for binding off.
- Blunt ended yarn needle for sewing seams
- Four ¼”-⅜” (6 mm – 8 mm) buttons for the front closure
- One ounce (25g) ball of yarn should be sufficient - you will need approximately 110 yards of yarn for the cardigan.
- You may also need one pair of US Size 0 (metric 2 mm) knitting needles if you knit garter stitch (all rows knit) loosely.
Skill Level: Easy to Intermediate
What You Get: One 42 page knitting pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Knit!
Recreate an enduring 17th-century pilgrim girl costume with this meticulously designed pattern by Keepers Dolly...