This elegant and noble yet simple Lace Cape will make your doll look spectacular. This must have cape is an essential element in any princess' wardrobe. Choose to finish your hooded cape with beautiful lace edging or with hemmed edges.
This PDF Sewing Pattern is designed to fit most 18 inch dolls including American Girl®, Our Generation®, Journey Girls® doll and Madame Alexander®.
Recommended Fabrics: lace fabric
Skill Level: Beginner
What You Get: One 28 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Sew!
I would recommend the maker of the pattern include a pattern cutout to use to draw the placement line on the lace. I would also recommend to note, where on the line, the casing for the ribbon should go. It does make a little difference for the size of the hood. I used premade lace but wasn't sure if the edge of the lace or casing should go on the bottom or top or in the middle of the line. One more bit of information. My pattern didn't make a cape that goes from high in the front to low in the back as shown in the pictures. The lowest (closest to the floor) point, if you spread the gathers evenly around the neck, is off the shoulders, not in the back. Therefore, I determined what the longest length was on the original pattern and then measured from the casing line all around the bottom hem to add to the hemline around the bottom. I chose to have it as long in the front as the back. I liked twisting the ribbon to make a loop for a button. I hadn't ever done that before.
Found putting the pattern pieces together is not user friendly. I buy many patterns for myself that are “assembly required”. If a first time user was doing this, I think it would be difficult. Better marking for matching would help. Also, it seems to be missing parts. Sewing was very easy and many suggests to customize your cape.
I bought lace with scalloped borders, so I was able to make 2 out of one meter. I used the scalloped edge for the straight cut and finished the curved cut with a tight zigzag. If I make it again, I might use a bit more than 1 meter, so that the front is a bit longer. Very cute and easy to put together. The pattern would also work with a light weight satin.