Create a beautiful historical fashion for your 18 inch doll! This gown is based on the popular En Fourreau' dress style from the 1770's where the bodice and skirt at the center back were cut in one piece and pleated to fit. The gown and the matching petticoat are made of an 18th century reproduction print. The cuffs feature a small pleat at the inside elbow and the sides have hidden openings to access pockets. Dresses from this time period were often fastened in the front with straight pins..... for practical reasons, I opted to use snaps instead. The gown can be worn down or tied up with the hidden tapes to form a bustle. The petticoat is historically detailed with front and back ties that form pocket openings at the sides.
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 26 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF pattern provides full color illustrated step-by-step instructions. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
Pixie Faire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®
This is a great pattern. Fit is perfect.
Always, always find T & A patterns so satisfying to make, even though it may take hours or days to complete a garment from them...I love the detail and historical accuracy and generally find instructions easy to follow. I used this one to make a more historically accurate Summer Gown for Elizabeth, and am more than happy with the finished result! Now the error: can't believe a pattern tester didn't catch this, or that no one else making the gown has determined what the problem was with the fit of the bodice (several reviews mention the problem) ....SO, the way the bodice lining pieces are given, the lining piece for the left side will NOT match up with the left bodice unless you add 1/2" to the width of the lining piece OR have a narrower underlap at center front than the pattern indicates. I had to rip out a LOT of stitching when I realized the problem, and sewed on an extension to my left lining piece to make everything match up. So I recommend that the pattern be corrected by having a right AND left lining piece (the left side piece 1/2" wider,) OR, change the fold line on the left bodice pattern piece. A few details about my completed gown: I used taffeta that is more than 60 years old, from the skirt of a prom dress I made in 8th grade! I closed the front with hooks and thread eyes, added lace to neckline and bows down the front to complete my version of Elizabeth's Summer Gown!
When I saw this pattern I was very enthusiastic. I love this dress ! I've finished to sew the dress today. Pattern and instructions are not clear, the bodice doesn't fit very well. I had to check on XVIIIe genuine dress as Isabella McTavish Fraser's wedding dress, to understand the way to assemble the back of the dress. I'll made one another, but I think I'll make changes to pattern.
I have been holding onto a bolt of fabric I bought in Colonial Williamsburg for something special, and this pattern was it!!! I had enough to make two mix and match dresses for my daughter and my niece. This shows them how women of that time used to refresh their clothing to make more options without sewing new gowns. I love when playing with dolls can teach youth about history!