She scampered out to the gazebo, still wearing her favorite frock -- this quiet, sunny afternoon was hers to do with as she pleased, and she was determined to dive into that new book. Hours later her mother found her, tucked among the bluebells.
Bluebelle is a beautiful dress with elements that hearken back to the flower it was named for. The scalloped hem, the curved multi-piece collar, the petal sleeves, and the tiny mother-of-pearl buttons all echo the bluebell's distinctive swoops and curves. The Melody Valerie bow graces the back of the dress -- a mark of our approval!
Inside, the dress doesn't disappoint. The bodice is fully lined, the armhole seams are neatly bound with self-fabric, and, to avoid hook and loop tape damage to either your doll or the dress, it fastens smartly with snaps.
This PDF dress pattern works well with two similar-weight fabrics in harmonizing colors. This example uses cotton shirting, but any lightweight cotton or linen would also work well.
-1/4 yard of main fabric
-1/4yard contrast fabric
-7 size 4/0 snaps, and 7 1/4" wide buttons
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 25 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
PixieFaire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®
While I appreciate the designer's committment to couture techniques such as set in sleeves with armhole binding, they are not appropriate when working at small scale. Do yourself a favor and add an underarm seam to the sleeve piece so that you can sew it into the bodice in flat construction. The front plackets with piping are also a bit challenging. Overall the bodice is too tight, and the neckline too wide. My version remains incomplete as I discovered after sewing everything that the hem scallops do not match which has resulted in one front placket being longer than the other. I put a lot of time and effort into this and am not sure I'll be able to salvage it.
I finally started this a few days ago when I got my hands on a working sewing machine. I had gotten this pattern as the freebie Friday, which is why I didn't give it a two star rating. The design is lovely and I was using a very pretty fabric I got in Maui while I was on vacation. I've never really had to check fit on any of the patterns I have gotten on this site so I didn't with this one. The bodice is way too tight (it's for a Mattel doll that's only a few years old) there is simply no wiggle room. I thought I could work with it. Put the sleeves on (by hand, I wasn't going to attempt by machine) and checked fit again. It wasn't going to happen by the time I got the front part in with the snaps would put too much stress on the seams. So the skirt is to the side until I decide if I want to tweak the bodice pattern and redo it (aaaah) or use a different bodice pattern. So a tad bit disappointed with this pattern and wish I read the reviews first. I've done other Intermediate designs without problems.
The directions were easy to follow and it turned out adorable.
This little dress is just so pretty and feminine. Love it. The detailed pattern instructions are very well done. Thank you.
Although I've been sewing for many years, I've never done anything the least bit complicated. When I got a Bonnie & Pearl Beatrice doll, I wanted to make her something right away and decided to try this pattern using some green fabric with a gold border print on it that I had been savings for something special. I enlarged the pattern 10% because Beatrice is 19" rather than 18". I had a little trouble folding the sleeves the right way and in fact set it aside for a couple of days and then came back to it, when I was able to figure it out. I also chickened out at making the placket, opting instead to just use Velcro up the front and put buttons on it for decoration. Also, because I was using a border print I didn't do the scalloped hem. Although I changed it a bit, I was very pleased with the results and may do another variation for another doll.