No pool party is complete without a fun beach towel!
This PDF download includes pattern pieces and step-by-step photo instructions for creating an appliqued terry cloth beach towel in your choice of four designs - popsicle, flamingo, beach scene and "atta girl!". Also included are three different finishing options, including an easy finish, a self-edged option or a bias tape-edged version.
Also included in this pattern is a time-saving method for cutting out your applique pieces, as well as step-by-step photo instructions for using the satin stitch method of machine applique.
This pattern is part of the Pool Party Collection by Matilda Jo Originals, creator of the AptOne8 line of PVC furniture. Look for compatible patterns at Pixie Faire, including an oval swimming pool, a chaise lounge chair and a lifeguard chair.
For even more pool party fun, check out the Doll Tag Clothing Fun-flatables patterns and the Peppermintsticks Splash Zone swimsuit pattern.
Recommended Fabrics: terry cloth, cotton
BASIC TOWEL (per towel)
• 2/3 yard terry cloth
• 1/3 yard cotton (optional - for backing on easy finish and self-edged versions)
• Sewable iron-on adhesive (such as Heat ‘n Bond Lite)*
• 5 feet extra wide double-fold bias tape (optional - for bias tape-edged version)
• Printable full-sheet labels (optional - for use with Time-Saving Iron-On Adhesive Method)
• Cotton fabric scraps in three coordinating colors (popsicle) plus tan (stick)
• Thread to match tan fabric plus one of the three popsicle fabric
• Cotton fabric scraps in dark pink (bird body), light pink (wing), orange (beak), gray or gray print (sunglasses) and black (legs)
• Thread - black and dark pink
BEACH SCENE TOWEL
• Cotton fabric scraps in three hues of blue (water), two hues of orange (sun), tan (sand), and various colors for beach ball, towel, umbrella and umbrella contrast
• Thread - blue, orange, tan, black and to match ball, mini towel & umbrella
ATTA GIRL TOWEL
• Cotton fabric scraps in two colors (one for letters, the second
for the star)
• Tear-away embroidery stabilizer, such as Pellon Stitch-N-Tear
(optional but recommended)
• Thread to match each fabric
*Prefer NOT to machine applique your pieces? Try no-sew iron-on adhesive (such as Heat ‘n Bond UltraHold) and skip the applique stitching steps altogether.
FINISHED DIMENSIONS: Approximately 9x19 inches
Skill Level: Beginner
What You Get: One 55 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available
Download, Print, Sew!
This pattern was easy to follow and a perfect accessory to the pool party gift set I made for my nieces. I'm a confident beginner and was able to customize and complete in no time.
This was my first project ever with applique and satin stitching. In addition to the instructions, I had to depend a little bit on the Heat n Bond package to guide me. My flamingo is a mirror image somehow, but it's not a disaster as it would've been if I had chosen to do the Atta Girl towel! heehee. Also, in addition to the instructions on satin stitching, which were very clear, I watched an online video for tips and I am very pleased with myself. I think my g daughter and her dollies will be tickled pink! Thank you for providing this fun pattern.
Easy to assemble. Granddaughter is gonna love it for the summer
I had the privilege of testing this pattern. It was very, very, fun to practice my satin stitching. Easy pattern, great directions. The only thing I think is important for you to know is definitely use the stabilizer like Kristin recommends. My terry was thin, and it made the satin stitching look so very nice. I do not think I will applique with out stabilizer ever again! This is a must-try pattern for sure!