Your American Girl will be ready for a pajama party in these special bathrobes. There are three versions included in this PDF pattern, in three different lengths, and directions and patterns for the slippers are also included.
View A is the long version to keep your doll warm and cozy. It has directions for making your own piping, which is used around the edge of the collar and bottom of the sleeve cuff. Directions for a detailed pocket with a piping accent are also included. The bathrobe is completely finished on the inside with a contrast facing around the front of the robe and the hem, and ties at the waist with a belt.
View B is a shorter version, which is perfect if you want the legs of your pajamas to show. It has a collar accented with piping, and ties at the waist with a belt. The sleeves also have a piping accent, and the edges are completely finished with a contrast facing.
View C is another longer version, and the hem and collar are finished with a ruffle which can be made of gathered lace or contrast fabric. The unique sleeve has a ruffle finish, with a contrast band peeking out from below. It also nips in at the waist with a belt held in place with belt loops.
Suggested Fabrics: Quilted fabric, flannel, fleece or lightweight cotton
Robe Fabric (All Views):
-½ yard quilted cotton, woven cotton, flannel , velour or terrycloth
Contrast Fabric For Piping and Facings (All Views):
-½ yard woven fabric such as cotton or cotton blends. Not suitable for knits
Notions (All Views):
-Thread, purchased piping (if not making your own piping) OR 4 yards uncovered 1/8” cording to make your own piping
Skill Level: Easy Intermediate
What You Get: One 32 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
Would have preferred a facing rather than bias tape to finish the front of the robes. Other than that, they are quite cute.
Made this in a pink fleece with self-made piping. (View A & B). It turned out really cute, partly to the forgiveness I think of the fleece. First thing I encountered was a pattern piece in the cutting layout that was shown going in the wrong direction. The arrow on the slipper pc. 8 and the position on the pattern cutting layout, I believe is incorrect. Not that it really matters for a doll slipper, but when I am teaching my grand-daughter how to sew, it does. Second, and this may only be for me, but the pictures are very blurry. Which leads me to the facing around the front of the robe. Steps 21-23. I wish it would have said in step 21, to "fold in half and press" like it says in step 40. I could not tell by the pic if it was actually flat and open or folded in half. I guess I should have figured it out by the word raw "edges" plural and not raw edge. Wasn't hard to fix, would have been easier had I not clipped the curves tho. I also wish the instructions for the piping on the sleeves (Step 24-25) would have read like the instructions for the pocket, Steps 61-63. The sleeves didn't turn out with the proper sized hem, because of it, but nobody knows that but me! It has been quite some time since I have put piping on a garment, but I think the instructions for the collar should include extra piping at the ends, one of mine just barely caught the facing without showing the cut edge, next time I will leave or start and end with an extra 1/2" or so on the ends. It may have been because of the stretch of the fleece, but it was a little too close for comfort. I also changed the belt, I didn't like the triangle at the bottom, so I sewed the ends, turned at the corner and sewed to about the middle of the belt and repeated for the other side, leaving a 2" gap in the middle. Turning half of the belt is easier than the whole thing anyway. I fused the gap closed, but it could also be slip stitched. Despite all of this, this robe turned out so cute. One of my favorite items that I made this year. Definitely a keeper!
Adorable well fitting pattern. Paired with the classic PJs it made perfect set!
I made a beautiful robe and people can't believe I actually made it!! I thought the pattern was very expensive but I couldn't find a pattern anywhere else so the results were so good I don't regret buying the pattern. I haven't sewn for years but this turned out so well.