The Happy Penguin Costume, by Genniewren Designs, is a fun, dress-up costume for your 18 inch doll. It can be made using Minky®, fleece, felt or fake fur.
The Happy Penguin Costume is roomy enough to wear over clothes if required.
The body of the costume has raglan sleeves to represent wings, and there is a hidden opening in the sleeve seam to allow the doll to use her hands – perhaps to carry her basket of treats at Halloween?
The center front panel is made from contrasting fabric and has an optional applique to represent the shading in the feathers on a real penguin.
The beak is cleverly used as the hood brim, giving the costume a cheeky “baseball cap” style look.
The penguin suit opens all the way down the back, for ease of dressing your doll, and is fastened with hook and loop tape on the body and snaps for the hood so that the hook and loop tape does not catch in the doll’s hair.
One of the best features of the Happy Penguin Costume is the darling little webbed-foot boots. These are simple to construct and would make fun slippers for your doll too.
Whatever time of the year, whether it's for trick or treating at Halloween, for a New Year costume party, or for wearing in a parade, your doll will love the "laugh out loud cute" Happy Penguin Costume.
The Happy Penguin Costume pattern has ten pattern sheets. Some pattern pieces are too large for a single sheet of paper and need to be taped together. All pattern pieces are labeled and those to be joined include plenty of registration marks to help you line up the pieces accurately.
This PDF pattern is designed to fit 18" dolls such as American Girl®.
Recommended Fabrics: Fleece, fur fabric, Minky®, or craft felt. If you are unable to obtain any of these fabrics then flannel or stretch velvet will work too.
Grey and black penguin
- 24” x 18” of black fleece, felt, fur fabric or Minky®
- 24” x 18” of grey fleece, felt, fur fabric or Minky®
All black penguin
- 44” x 18” black fleece, felt, fur fabric or Minky®
- 24” x 10” of orange fleece, felt, fur fabric or Minky®
- 14” x 6” white or cream fleece, felt, fur fabric or Minky®
- 6” x 3” white fleece or felt for the eyes
- 4” x 2” black fleece or felt for the eyes
- 6” of hook and loop fastener (both sides) and 3 snaps.
- 11” x 15” woven fabric (e.g. quilter’s cotton) for the bias binding strips (or you could use purchased 1” single fold bias binding tape if you prefer).
- Optional 4” x 4” of yellow fleece, felt, fur fabric or Minky® for the contrast chest applique
Skill Level: Easy to Intermediate
What You Get: One 33 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available
Download, Print, Sew!