This pattern is just for the Highland Dance Blouse. Other patterns in the Highland Dress and Highland Dance Series are available to enable you to make a complete Highland dress or Highland dance outfit for your doll. Complete the look with the Girls Highland Jacket and Vest, Highland Kilt, Socks and Ghillies, available separately, as well as in bundled packages (see listing image for purchasing options available).
The Highland Dance Blouse pattern will allow you to make a blouse that meets Highland Dance regulations. The blouse has a high neckline with lace applied to the front. Gathered lace is used to create a jabot style neck. Flat lace is used to create the dance school style. The center back closes with hook and loop tape or snaps.
The blouse has elbow length elasticized puffed sleeves edged with a ruffle. Some Highland Dance regulations require lace sleeves, so you could use a lace fabric for the sleeves (e.g. eyelet, or allover lace). Instructions are included for adding a lace insert to the sleeve if you prefer to do so.
Without the lace at the neckline, this blouse is also a great wardrobe staple, e.g. for wearing with school uniforms, or for casual wear with skirts, jeans or shorts.
This pattern is also available bundled with the Girl's Highland Jacket, Vest and Dickey pattern at a discounted bundled price.
Recommended Fabrics: This pattern is designed for lightweight woven fabrics such as polycotton or cotton lawn shirting fabrics.
- A quarter of a yard of lightweight cotton or cotton blend shirting fabric, such as lawn, percale chambray etc. (a fat quarter 18” x 22” is fine)
- 5” Hook and loop tape (both sides) OR 4 small (1/4” / 6mm)snaps
- 12” x 1/2” (12mm) wide flat lace or eyelet for the dance school style, OR 12” x 1/2” (12mm) wide pregathered lace for the jabot style neckline (or you can gather flat lace if you prefer, but you will need a longer piece of flat lace).
- 10” x 1/4” (6mm) wide elastic.
- Optional: 7” x 22” of eyelet or allover lace fabric for the contrast sleeves.
- Optional: half a yard of straight edged insertion lace ¾” – 1” wide for the sleeve insertion.
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 25 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. This pattern includes a 3 page Summary of Instructions section so you can print out just the text version if desired to save on printer ink! A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Sew!
I recently made the “Highland Dance Blouse” from Genniewren’s Highland Collection. I made the Dance School version with the flat lace strips across the bodice and the eyelet sleeves. The whole collection is just so detailed and this blouse meets the official dance requirements. But it’s not just for dance. This is an excellent Basic Blouse pattern, too. The fit of the bodice is excellent, and the puffed sleeves have a perfect amount of fullness. Look at how well the neckline fits!