“Luxe Cardigan”, by Karen Lorraine Design, is a simple knitting pattern with the option of lacework at the lower edges. The lace pattern (used in this pattern) is based on the popular horseshoe lace pattern. The cardigan is knitted in one piece, leaving just two seams to be sewn together afterwards. The pattern is written for flat needles (although you can use circular needles if you desire, as long as you remember the pattern is not written in the round).
This cardigan is a great introduction to lace knitting. You can knit all the lace stitches if you wish, or you can try out the lace pattern on a small area, such as the sleeves. The horseshoe pattern is also quite forgiving, so if you do make an error while learning lacework, it will not be as noticeable as many lace patterns (for example, lace shawls). This is especially true if you try the lace pattern first on the sleeves.
The lacework is made up of simple stitches like the popular yarn over stitch. The “CDD” (Centered Double Decrease) stitch is introduced (with explanations and illustrations). This is an easy stitch (also known as s2kp and s2kp2) which consists of slipping 2 stitches, knitting the next stitch, and then passing the 2 slipped stitches over the knitted stitch. This new stitch adds a pretty raised bar to your lacework.
You may also wish to knit the entire cardigan without any lacework (thus using a stockinette stitch of alternating rows of knit and purl).
As a bonus, a cute beanie hat pattern is included for your doll. This uses simple knit and purl stitches, with the option of increasing the length of the hat as desired.
This cardigan and bonus hat will fit dolls like Blythe® (also known as Neo-Blythe®). It can also be used for most yarns.
SKILLS REQUIRED/TECHNIQUES USED
- Knit and purl, cast on and bind off.
- The basic lace stitch of yo.
- The lace stitch CDD (which may be new to you, but is simply slipping 2 stitches, knitting the next stitch, and then passing the 2 slipped stitches over the knitted stitch). The CDD stitch is also known as s2kp and s2kp2.
- Seaming. (Extra instructions for seaming are included.)
- Blocking. (Extra instructions for blocking are included.)
Suggested Yarns: Yarn 260yds/238m/50g ball. (One ball.) The recommended yarn using the Standard Yarn Weight System is No.1 yarn super fine. This is also known as fingering and baby yarn. You can use sock yarn too, although the nylon content may be less desirable.
• 2.75mm Needles (US No. 2 needles; UK/Canadian No. 12 needles)
• Yarn 260yds/238m/50g ball. (One ball.) The recommended yarn using the Standard Yarn Weight System is No.1 yarn super fine. This is also known as fingering and baby yarn. You can use sock yarn too, although the nylon content may be less desirable.
• 4 Stitch Holders. These can be used for holding the stitches for the Cardigan’s Sleeves, Back, and one Front while working on the other Front. These stitch holders are optional and I have not used them in this pattern, as you can leave the sections for the Cardigan’s Sleeves, Back, and one Front on the knitting needle.
• 4 Knit Stitch Markers or 4 safety pins. These are used for marking your pattern into the different sections (of Front, Back, and Sleeve pieces).
• Yarn (tapestry) needle for finishing seams
• Rust-proof pins for Blocking
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 33 page knitting pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF knitting pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Knit!
“Luxe Cardigan”, by Karen Lorraine Design, is a simple knitting pattern with the option of lacework...
Whether your doll is strolling down the red carpet, attending a wedding, or simply at...
Inspired by “Heidi™,” the “Chalet School™” books, and my love of mountains, this adorable pattern...
This “Heirloom Lace” pattern (designed to fit 18-inch dolls like American Girl® or Our Generation™)...