The tailcoat was the must have article of clothing for any man of at least middle class standards since the Regency era. It was high in the back of the neck, fitted in the back, chest and abdomen, had long tails and the wide lapels so distinctive of the period. It could be either single or double breasted and could be worn open or closed. It was cut high in front so that even when closed a strip of the waistcoat ( or modern vest) could be seen beneath. The modern tailcoat is very similar with the original ones except the collar shape which is a more relaxed style.
Pattern includes photographic sewing instructions to make a Tailcoat and a Vest and all pattern components come in two sizes:
~ Sized to fit 18 inch larger dolls such as American Girl® and
~ Sized to fit the 18" slim Carpatina Boy Dolls
Recommended Fabrics: Fine wool, cotton, linen for the tailcoat and brocades for the vest
- 1/2 yard main fabric
- 1/4 yard lining fabric
- 1 Snaps or button for closure
- Matching thread
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 19 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Sew!
I have made the vest found it very easy to follow your instructions, but a little harder using the coat pattern but succeeded after sitting back and studying the instructions as I’m a self taught sewer, this wil not be the only pattern I purchase.
Once I'd read through the instructions a couple of times and had a closer look at the pictures on the pc I found that it was not as hard as I originally thought. Loved how the lining turned out, it makes a simple jacket turn into a great one.
Both the tail coat and the vest patterns are well drafted for fit and ease of construction. I especially liked the method for lining the coat. Have made several of the coats and vests for AG size dolls, and am very pleased with the design.