Wrap it, tie it, change it! The amazing and versatile Infinity Dress, by Forever 18 Inches, is now available for 18” dolls, with skirt choices available in a short and full length, and an option for using differing fabrics for the bodice and skirt for your own unique designer look. The dress itself is very simple: it’s formed by joining four rectangles of varying sizes together and sews together quickly. Like the “Big People” version, the straps have an infinite series of possibilities in the way they can be tied to form different looks—hence the name of the dress. The pattern also includes bonus craft instructions to make a pretty wrist corsage. The dress can be worn as a casual frock, a party dress, bridesmaid’s dress, or an elegant formal, depending on the fabric, length, and how the straps are tied. Make your own version, and you’ll have a blast playing with the straps and all their possibilities!
- Options 1 & 3: Lightweight knits with a moderate two-way stretch
- Option 2: Add 1/4 yd. of different fabric (lightweight two-way knit , or light to medium-weight woven fabric)
- Option Nos. 1 and 3: (Same fabric for bodice and skirt)
- 1. 7/8 yd. of a lightweight knit (58” wide) with a moderate (no more than 35%) two-way stretch
- Option No. 2: (Different fabrics for bodice and skirt)
- 1. Bodice: 7/8 yd. of lightweight knit fabric with a moderate (no more than 35%) two-way stretch.
- 2. Skirt: 1/4 yd. of lightweight knit fabric with a moderate (no more than 35%) two-way stretch OR ¼ yd. woven fabric for the short dress, OR 1/3 yd. woven fabric for a full-length dress.
- All Dress Options
- 1. Matching thread and sewing needle
- 2. A pair of small, very sharp scissors to trim seam allowances
- 3. ¼" graph paper to create the pattern pieces OR a rotary cutter and cutting mat
- 4. Two medium snaps
- 5. Optional: 1 yd. of yard of 1/4" - 3/8" wide non-stretch lace to finish the edge of the dress hems
- 6. Optional: 1/3 yd. of very lightweight fusible knit interfacing to stabilize the waistband.
- 7. Optional: A Ball-Point sewing needle (often used with knits)
- 8. Optional: Fray Check® (for woven fabric)
- 9. Optional: coffee filters to help prevent thread bunching and fabric stretching while sewing
- Wrist Corsage
- 1. Two to three small silk flowers (about 1" wide or less)
- 2. Two to three small silk leaves (I used leaves that were about 1" long & trimmed them down)
- 3. Small sharp scissors to trim the leaves and cut ribbon
- 4. Wire cutters or blunt scissors to cut the wire stems on the flowers & leaves
- 5. A hot glue gun and glue sticks
- 6. 12" of ¼" wide ribbon for the wrist tie
- 7. 8" of ¼" wide ribbon for the tied bow
- 8. Optional: Fray Check® for the edges of the bow & wrist ties
- 9. One ¾" x 1-3/8" piece of sturdy clear plastic (I used plastic packaging from the front of a box) OR a sturdy piece of cardstock
Skill Level: Intermediate. Sewing skills required: straight stitching and gathering.
What You Get: One 24 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
PixieFaire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®