The Seal Beach Sundress, by Forever 18 Inches, is named in honor of a small beachside community located in north Orange County, California. Known for its wide sandy beaches and walkable pier, Seal Beach is a favorite hangout for families, surfers, and dogs with bandannas around their necks happily taking their owners for a stroll. The Seal Beach Sun Dress is a type of dress seen on its friendly Main St. sidewalks: pretty enough for a special occasion, and casual enough for a walk on the beach. The dress features shoulder ties, a lined dropped bodice with a faux front-button closure, and a fully gathered skirt that can be used with a border print or stripes cut on the cross grain. The skirt can also be embellished with narrow trim or tucks for a nostalgic look.
This PDF sewing pattern is designed to fit 18" dolls such as American Girl®.
Recommended Fabrics: Tightly woven natural fabrics such as lighter to mid-weight quilter's cotton (or other similar fabrics)
- Option 1: 1/2 yd. of light to medium-weight natural fashion fabric and ¼ yd. of batiste or other lightweight lining fabric
- Option 2: 1 yd. of light to medium-weight natural fashion fabric (cross grain cut skirt) and ¼ yd. of batiste or other lightweight lining fabric
(Note: The Option 2 skirt can also be cut on the straight grain. If you prefer to cut the skirt on the straight grain you'll need ½ yd. of fashion fabric)
1. Matching thread
2. Three medium-sized snaps
3. Five ¼” buttons
4. A pair of small, very sharp scissors to trim seam allowances
5. Fray Check®
6. Optional: graph Paper (or other paper) to make the pattern for the Skirt
7. A small sturdy safety pin (approximately 3/8” x 7/8” or smaller) OR a bobby pin
8. Optional: a tube turner OR a tapestry needle and extra-strong thread instead of the safety pin or bobby pin
9. Optional: cellophane tape to tape the graph paper together for pattern pieces
10. A marking tool such as chalk or a Frixion® pen (the Frixion pen mark disappears when dry heat is applied. Be sure to use it on the WRONG side of your dress!)
11. Optional: 1 yd. of narrow trim for the Option 2 Skirt
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 30 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A 4 page Summary of Instructions is also included to help save on printer ink. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
Pixie Faire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®.
Here’s a versatile dress designed for seamstresses who hate sewing set-in sleeves! The Easy Sleeves...
Help your doll to beat the heat with the Warm Weather Rompers pattern by Forever 18...
Get both the Flirty Boho Blouse and Flirty Mini Skirt from Forever 18 Inches bundled together and...
The Flirty Mini Skirt by Forever 18 Inches, receives its name from the modest notch and slit...