Revised & Updated April 2020.
What 18-inch doll wouldn't want to wear one of these super comfy hoodie dresses by 123 Mulberry Street? There are several variations included in this doll clothes sewing pattern: a regular hoodie, a tunic, and an above the knee dress length dress. Any of the three styles can be made with a basic hemmed edge or finished with the hemline band. You can also use the regular hoodie length to create a cool loose-fitting hooded shirt for your favorite boy doll!
Design details include:
Designed to fit 18-inch dolls such as American Girl®.
Make a matching Hoodie Dress for your 14-15" dolls! Click HERE to find that pattern.
Suggested Fabrics: This pattern is designed to use knit or fleece fabrics. Lightweight 2-way or 4-way stretch works well. Sweater knit is a great alternative too.
Skill Level: This is an intermediate level sewing pattern.
What You Get: One 19 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
Pixie Faire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®.
Made up really cute in a snowflake design fleece. Made matching hat and mitts for my granddaughter for Christmas. Great pattern, easy to follow. Will definitely buy more patterns in the new year.
Let's start with saying that this pattern has been updated in April 2020. Most of the critique points mentioned in the earlier reviews have been taken care of. From the update log: "The pattern document has been completely updated with new step by step photos and instructions. The pattern pieces have been trued and corrected for a better fit." There are also placement instructions for the pocket and the V. That being said, here's my review for the current version of the pattern: The style: This is completely my kind of style. I am a jeans and hoodie person myself, so I was intrigued when I saw this pattern. As this one has raglan sleeves that are easy to sew I decided to try it out. The sewing instructions: As I felt that I had already sewn enough raglan sleeve tops I didn't print out the picture instructions, but followed the summary. I only looked at the pictures later as I didn't need them from start to finish. There was minimal confusion at a few points (2 and 3 only after I looked at the pictures), but nothing major. 1. It says to finish "the edges" of the hood, but the bottom edge will be finished at a later point (optional step) anyways. 2. The seams between front and sleeves should be pressed to the front, the seams between sleeves and back pressed to the back. So I'd expect the top stitching to be on the front and back pieces. It isn't mentioned explicitly where the top stitching should be, but on all the example pictures of the finished items the top stitching is on the sleeve pieces. 3. You can also see some topstitching at the waistband which isn't part of the instructions. Problem 1 wasn't such a big deal as finishing knits is optional as these don't fray, with 2 I just did follow my instincts and topstitched on the front and back instead of the sleeves (which I think looks better anyways) and I would ignore 3 as I never topstitch at the waistband to retain at least a bit of stretch. However, these issues are still worth mentioning. The grey fabric used in the pictures isn't the best choice as some photos are a bit blurry and with the mottled(?) fabric some seams/steps are hard to see. The placement of tha kangaroo pocket as presented on the pattern isn't my favourite for tunic length. I prefer it further down, maybe one inch above the waistband. But that's just preferrence and easy to adjust. The look of the finished item: I cannot say anything about the fit on an AG doll as I resized the pattern to fit my Götz Happy Kidz and Hannah dolls. However, with only slight adjustments the fit is great on these. Even the first try (green one, tunic length) went very well, I used one of my own old hoodies to try it out. With the second one (beige top length) I also used one of my old shirts and added sleeve bands as I like that style better (and to add a bit of length), but that's just a minor change. The third one was made of a thinner knit fabric with little stretch, here I experimented a bit more, but the basic pattern is still the same. I like how all three turned out, so some more are already cut out. I recommend this pattern if you like the style, but please be aware that the instructions still leave room for improvements.