Looking for a fast project to help finish off your doll's Halloween costume? Look no further!
**UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who entered the giveaway, we have a winner! Lena Juka said, "Definitely a princess. Females super heroes would be more compassionate and caring than male super heroes. GIRL POWER!"
All you need is some fabric scraps, cute ribbon or trim, some blank paper and a ruler. I used this technique to make a fun, short superhero-y cape, and a longer princess cape.
First, grab your paper and we'll make a basic pattern. (Don't worry, it's actually a lot easier than it sounds....!)
1. Draw a long vertical line down the middle of your paper. At the top of this, draw a 3" line.
2. Then, mark a point 3/8" down from the top of the "T".
3. Draw a curved line from the mark up to the corners of the top line. This is the neck of your cape!
4. Then, measure down the length of your cape. (Short cape: 8 1/2", long cape 17". You might need to tape on a second sheet of paper...) Draw in a line for the bottom of your cape. Make it as wide as your finished cape (short: 8"; long 10-12").
5. Connect the line at the bottom, to the points up at each corner of the neckline. From the neck, measure down the length of the cape, and mark.
Then, draw in your curved hemline. Ta Da!
If you are making a felt cape, you're all set: cut the pattern out of felt.
Then, use felt scraps to make a fun logo for the back of the cape. Sew that down....
...and sew on a piece of twill tape, ribbon, or other fun trim around the neckline. About 20" works well.
If you want to make a cape out of something that will fray, like lace or fabric, add an extra 1/4" around all the edges of your pattern before cutting it out.
Then, serge or zig zag over the raw edges. Turn them to the backside of the fabric, and topstitch them down.
Sew on a tie, and there you are -- another awesome new cape!
If you could be either a princess or a superhero, which would you be? Why?
(Princesses are fabulous, but I'd probably be a superhero because then I could fly...)
Thanks for following along everyone, and have fun with this!
For Pixie Faire,