Everybody needs a go-to summer tote- perfect for a trip to the beach, the park, or the farmer's market. This pattern hack of the Sew Urban Reversible Hobo Bag creates an easy casual bag that is unlined and has no hardware, making it great for a beginner project or something you can whip up super quick!
The tie strap detail creates a fun and casual look, and the simple design of the bag means it can be made in a variety of fabrics, from quilting cotton to crochet yardage.
1. Using the pattern piece for the body of the bag, cut two pieces. These will be the front and back of the bag.
2. Hem the top edge of both pieces. For this version using crochet fabric, a single 1/4" hem worked well. For the quilting cotton version, a very narrow double folded hem created a clean look on the inside of the bag.
3. Sew the two darts on both pieces, according to the placement on the pattern piece.
4. Place the two pieces RIGHT sides together. Pin and then sew around the outside edge at 1/4" seam allowance.
5. Trim and clip the seam. Turn the bag right sides out. Press if needed.
6. Cut one piece of fabric for the strap that is 22" x 2 1/2".
7. Fold the strap piece in thirds lengthwise and press.
8. Sew along the long raw edge. You could also topstitch the opposite folded side edge for a more defined and structured look.
9. Fold the long strip in half and cut into two equal pieces. Each piece should be approximately 11" long.
10. Fold 1/4" back on one end of each strap and sew.
11. With right sides together, pin the non-hemmed end of one strap to the bag side. Sew at 1/4" seam allowance.
12. Lift the strap toward the top of your work surface. With WRONG sides together, pin the front and back of the bag together along the place where the strap has been attached. The end/seam allowance of the strap should be sandwiched in between the bag pieces. Tuck in any raw edges. Sew.
13. Repeat steps 11 and 12 to sew the second strap to the other side of the bag.
Try the bag on your doll to see exactly where you should tie your straps in a knot or bow. The tie strap allows you to adjust the strap length to be a crossbody or shoulder bag!
Let us know in the comments if you try out this quick and easy tutorial for an adorable summer tote for your doll!
Yes - I want the Liberty Jane Co. Newsletter!
© 2023 Pixie Faire