Hi Everyone! In Part 4 we wrap up our sew-along with a closer look at sewing variation four. This on-trend style features a two-piece swimsuit top with a full off the shoulder ruffle. For this demonstration, we've paired it with the low-waist bottom to complete the look. Follow along to see how to sew this design and then grab your fabric and create one for your own collection.
Supplies and Resources:
- The orchid purple solid swimsuit fabric is from Fashion Fabrics Club (online).
- If you're having a hard time finding swimsuit fabric, I encourage you to look at the clearance sections of stores like Target or Walmart, as the seasons change from summer to Back to School, many of the swimsuits will go on clearance. Look for the biggest sizes you can find! Another resource is those stretchy book covers that will be popping up in the back to school sections (or sometimes at the dollar store). These work great for doll-size swimsuits!
- Flat Elastic can be found locally at stores like Wal-Mart, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, etc. I'd recommend minimum lengths of 1 yard per swimsuit.
- The stretch mesh fabric can be found with the swim/dance fabrics. This can be hit or miss, look for one with 4-way stretch.
- 1/8" width Double Sided Basting Tape (Amazon)
Ok, let's get started with the Variation One Sew-Along!
In this tutorial, we are going to sew the two-piece design with the full off the shoulder ruffle. This design uses a full two-piece back (without the deev V). We will also make the low-waist bottom using the FOE elastic.
- You will need pattern pieces Two-Piece Front and Two-Piece Full Back
- For the Bottoms - Two-Piece Bottom Front and Two-Piece Bottom Back (cut at the low-waist cutting line)
- FOE elastic - 1 yard cut into the lengths listed on the measurement chart.
- Thread that matches your elastic color.
- Double-sided quilters tape (1/8" recommended), optional but I love this!
Follow along in the video to make this swimsuit in the 18-inch doll size. This variation is similar to the Variation 1 and 2 tutorials, but for this one, we will demonstrate an alternate way to attach the ruffle. I encourage you to try this technique and compare the other method to see which construction assembly method you prefer. The two-piece bottom is sewn the same as the variation 3 demonstration but this one is sewn with the FOE instead of the flat elastic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Week Four Task:
- Watch the Variation Four Sew-Along video. Follow along and make your own two-piece swimsuit!
- Check out the Ultimate Resource Guide for fabric and supply sources. (Find this HERE )
- Follow along and make the Variation Four swimsuit and be sure to share it with the group!
BONUS CHALLENGE! Mix it up and create a new variation. maybe it's a two-piece top with the smaller ruffles, or add a ruffle to the waistline of the two-piece bottom. Jump over the SWC Facebook Group for conversation and project sharing. We'd love to see what you make!
I'll be demonstrating these methods using several different variations from the Liberty Jane Swimsuit Variations pattern for 18-inch dolls. Follow along to see how easy it is to make these adorable swimsuits! The pattern is also available for 14.5" - 15" dolls!
Patterns Used For this Topic:
- LJ Swimsuit Variations for 18" Dolls
- LJ Swimsuit Variations for 14.5-15" Dolls
Leave a comment