Make a fun holiday outfit with this delightful pattern hack that comes to us from Karen of Forever 18 Inches!
Giveaway Update: Our winner is Jeannette who said "My favorite Christmas tradition, How can you pick one, I love everything about christmas, from baking cookies to wrapping beautiful presents, family, church, decorations and snow on Christmas Eve. if we’re lucky. It truly is the Most Wonderful time of the Year." Thanks to all who entered! We loved reading through all the comments!
Get into the holiday spirit as Karen teaches us how to use her Curving Cardigan pattern and Versatility Dress pattern to create a charming holiday outfit that is sure to spread a little Christmas joy to all who see it! Complete the outfit with the hat from the Doll Tag Clothing Santa pattern!
(Click on the image or the link above to find the patterns on Pixie Faire.)
Let's get started..
-1/4 yd. Medium-weight one-way stretch stable knit fabric (no more than 30% stretch)
- 1/2 yd. lightweight fleece with a one-way stretch
- Matching thread
-Small, very sharp scissors
- ¼" Stay Tape (1/2" wide tape can be cut lengthwise) OR ¼" strips of very lightweight interfacing
- Snaps or Velcro to close the back of the dress
- A pom pom about the size of a nickel
- 1/3 yd. 3/8" black ribbon for a belt
- One decorative slide with a 3/8" opening to use as a belt buckle
- 1" of Hook-and-Loop to close the belt
- Fabri-Tac or other glue to apply the Hook-and-Loop to the belt
To begin: Make the cardigan and hat in the contrasting knit and fleece fabrics according to the pattern directions.
1. Cut a rectangle from the knit fabric measuring 5.75" x 30.5", as directed in the Option 3 layout for the Versatility Dress. Next, cut a rectangle from the fleece fabric measuring 2.5" x 31". Make sure the stretch is cut with the long side of the rectangle.
2. Pin one long edge of the fleece to one long edge of the knit, RIGHT sides together. Allow about ½" of the fleece to overlap each side of the knit. Stitch, using a ½" wide seam.
3. Using small, sharp scissors, trim off half of the seam allowance on the fleece only.
4. WRAP the fleece over the edge of the knit and pin it in place.
Here's a view from the WRONG side….
…and a view from the RIGHT side.
5. Working from the RIGHT side, stitch a scant 1/8" above the fleece/knit seam onto the knit (with thread that matches the fabric). Trim the short edges of the fleece to the same length as the short edges of the knit Skirt.
6. Working from the WRONG side, trim away the excess fleece very close to the stitching line. (No worries; the fleece won't ravel) Congratulations! You've finished the edge of the skirt for the dress. Proceed to the Option 3 instructions for the Versatility Dress and sew as directed (except for the hem, which you've already already sewn).
7. To make the belt: Pull the slide onto the ribbon and center it. Try the dress on your doll, and fit the belt over the dress to determine the length you need. Fold the edges of the ribbon over to the WRONG side and glue them with Fabri-Tac; then glue corresponding ½" pieces of Hook-and-Loop onto the belt ends.
CONGRATULATIONS! Your outfit is finished!
How would you like to win this festive outfit? Karen will be sending it to one lucky winner!
We'll pick a winner on Monday, November 28th, and get in touch via email. Thanks for entering and good luck!
For Pixie Faire,
Karen & The PF Team