“Shanghai Skirt”, by Karen Lorraine Design, consists of a classic pencil skirt with functioning front and back pockets, topstitching, and an easy back closure. The hem of the skirt is distressed for a bit of edginess, and this can be emphasized more (or less).
There are two examples of “Shanghai Skirt” in this pattern: one features a classic pencil skirt made from 2-way stretch denim and including topstitching (in a contrasting thread), while the other is a classic pencil skirt made from 2-way stretch knit fabric and does not include topstitching nor the back pockets. Both examples include functioning front pockets. There are also two options for the waistband: the first is the waistband depicted in these pictures, while the second is a simpler option that uses fold over elastic.
Primarily designed for the Pullip™ (Type 4 body) doll size, this pattern will also fit other similar dolls such as Fashionista Barbie™, Disney Descendants™, and Neo-Blythe™ as it is, or by slight adjustments to the hook and loop tape back (or hems).
The pattern is designed for 2-way stretch fabrics like denim.
Recommended Fabrics: Two-way stretch fabrics like denim, and two-way knit fabrics like jersey knits.
• 14" wide by 9" deep 2-way stretch fabric like denim or knit. NOTE: a denim fabric or similar is best if you are topstitching the skirt. If you are NOT doing much topstitching, then any knit fabric will do.
• Lawn (or similar) remnant for pocket facing on skirt (or use fashion fabric for the facing).
• Contrasting thread for skirt for topstitching detail (optional)
• Tulle stretch remnant for waistband facing option 4" wide x 2" deep
• Fold over elastic for waistband option 4" long by ½" or 1" deep
• Matching thread
• Hook and loop tape, snap fasteners, or hook and eye closures.
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 28 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Sew!