Everything old is new again! Drop-seat pajamas have been around for 100 years. Your great-grandparents may have referred to them as Dr. Denton's, Trap-Door Pajamas, or a Union Suit. Now they're a fashion statement! This specially designed version, by Forever 18 Inches, for 18" dolls features a working "Trap Door," ribbed leg and arm cuffs, a bomber-jacket style neck, and a button-covered front and back that close with snaps or Hook-and-Loop. Options for hemmed pant legs and a plain back without the Trap Door are also included in the PDF pattern for those who want a simpler project. Also, good news for those with older dolls: the pajamas have been cut generously, and will fit most larger dolls. ( They easily accommodate an 11" waist and 12-1/2" hips, but do check your doll's measurements to be sure.)
The directions have been written comprehensively with many explanatory details for those who are newer to sewing. An experienced seamstress will probably be able to construct the jammies just by reading the instructions highlighted in bold text. Happy sewing!
Recommended Fabrics: Soft woven fabrics such as lightweight flannel, or stable medium-weight knits with minimal stretch. Ribbing is needed for the neck and arm cuffs, and a 6"x6" square of lightweight fabric is also needed for the Trap Door lining.
Looking for a fun idea for the holidays? Be sure to check out the gingerbread jammies pattern hack to make something like the gingerbread boy in the example images posted here!
Fabric Requirements: Woven fabrics such as lightweight flannel, or medium-weight one-way stretch knits such as sturdy tee shirt knits. Knits should have a minimal (no more than 30% ) stretch.
- Option 1: ½ yd. of fabric; 1/8 yd. of ribbing, plus 6" x 6" of lightweight fabric for the lining on Trap Door Cover
- Option 2: : ½ yd. of fabric; 1/8 yd. of ribbing
1. Matching thread and optional contrast thread
2. One pair of small, very sharp scissor to trim seam allowances.
3. Very Lightweight iron-on Interfacing ( 1/8 yd. or small scraps )
4. ¼" buttons ( 7-11, depending on which Option is chosen)
5. Medium-size snaps (3-7, depending on which Option is chosen) OR thin Hook-and-Loop ( one set of 3/8" x 5-1/4" coordinating pieces for the front closure; one set of 3/8" x 4-1/4" coordinating pieces for the Trap Door).
6. If using a knit fabric: a 14" long piece of ¼" wide Stay Tape (1/2" wide Stay Tape can be cut lengthwise, or a ¼" wide strip of very lightweight interfacing can also be used.)
7. Optional: Fray Check for woven fabrics that tend to fray
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 41 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Sew!