Looking for a satisfying upcycling project? Create this sturdy doll sized steamer trunk, out of corrugated shipping boxes, paper board cereal boxes, and some basic white school glue. This pattern was inspired by early 1900s Wardrobe Steamer trunks that were made for extended travel.
The trunk itself is made of three layers of corrugated cardboard for a very sturdy box that is secured with working metal clasps. The inside lid is lined and can have a hook attached for hanging clothes. The box section can be left open for the maximum use of space or finished with four working drawers for more organization and easier access to items during travel. Decorative shank buttons are used for the drawer knobs.
Thimbles and Acorns Pattern #1900-01
This PDF crafting pattern, by Thimbles and Acorns, is designed to be used with 18 inch dolls such as American Girl®.
Follow along in the full video tutorial in Sewing With Cinnamon Themed Wardrobe: It's Showtime!
- Several Large Shipping Type Corrugated Boxes
- Several Large Cereal Type Boxes
- Two large bottles of PVA School Glue (double-sided tape may be used to apply paper strips, if preferred)
- Masking Tape
- 3” x 11” piece of cloth for hinge
- 5” x 3” piece of leather or vinyl for handles
- Three 12” x 12” pieces of scrapbook paper for lining and drawer covering
- Three pieces of 8 1/2” x 11” cardstock
- Scraps of lightweight paper for covering lip edges (such as craft paper or printer paper)
- One to three 2” jewelry box clasps
- Four 3/8” shank buttons for drawer knobs
- Acrylic paint for trunk body
- Acrylic paint for trim pieces
- Adhesive hook for the inside of the lid (optional)
- Rotary Cutter or craft knife, cutting mat and ruler for cutting cardboard and paper pieces
- Paintbrush for spreading glue
- Paintbrush or roller for painting trunk and trim pieces
- Brush containers for glue and paint
- Paint tray for mixing paint
- Small screwdriver for attaching clasps
- Flat weights such as large books or scrap wood
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 23 page crafting pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full-sized pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
The Brunswick is one of several informal jackets popular in the later 18th century, derived...