"We're havin' a heat wave…a tropical heat wave….". If the mercury rises and you hear your doll humming this Irving Berlin tune, it's time to sew a Heat Wave Halter Dress or Top to keep her cool, content, and fashionable. The pattern features two different skirt options, an optional sash, a cropped top with a ruffled hem, and bonus directions to make a Skinny Tie belt for a casual look. Two sets of cutting lines are included to accommodate newer/smaller soft-bodied dolls, as well as larger/older ones. The simple lines of the dress can have a party-ready look with plain fabric and lace, or a fun, casual style that shows off a bold print or a dainty scalloped eyelet hem. This is a project that sews up quickly, making it a great choice for on-line sellers, craft fair participants, and guardians of impatient vinyl friends. The temperature may be rising, but it won't be surprising that you definitely can-can quickly sew a summer wardrobe!
This PDF pattern is designed to fit 18" dolls such as American Girl®.
Recommended Fabrics: Light to medium-weight cottons or similar fabrics for the RIGHT side fashion fabric. Lawn, batiste, or other light weight wovens for the Lining. Not recommended for loosely woven fabrics.
- Option 1: ½ yd. of 45" wide fabric
- Option 2: ½ yd. of 45: wide fabric if the skirt is pieced OR 1 yd. of 45" fabric is the skirt is cut in one piece
- Option 3: ¼ yd. of 45: wide fabric
1. Matching thread
2. Two medium-sized snaps OR two pieces of thin ¼” wide Hook-and-Loop, about 2" long
3. A Frixion pen or other marking tool
4. One pair of small, very sharp scissors to trim seam allowances.
5. Fray Check ®
6. Optional: ¼" Graph Paper to make the Skinny Tie Belt pattern
7. Optional: a hemostat to help turn the Sash
8. Optional: a small safety pin to help turn the Bonus Skinny Tie Belt
- ½ yd. narrow lace (3/8"wide was used on the Bodice for the cover sample)
- ¾ yd. wide lace (1-1/4" wide lace was used on the Skirt for the cover sample)
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 42 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
PixieFaire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®.
I have not been able to use any of my most recent purchases yet as I am going under surgery for cataracs. I can hardly wit until my eyes work right again.
I made several dresses from this pattern. It is a nice pattern with easy-to-follow instructions and is a quick sew.
Great pattern. I have adapted the pattern for a different look and the overall pattern was a great base template. Love this pattern.
The pattern was very easy to sew. Followed it through and had no problems.