"We're havin' a heat wave…a tropical heat wave….". If the mercury rises and you hear your doll humming this Irving Berlin tune, it's time to sew a Heat Wave Halter Dress or Top to keep her cool, content, and fashionable. The pattern features two different skirt options, an optional sash, a cropped top with a ruffled hem, and bonus directions to make a Skinny Tie belt for a casual look. Two sets of cutting lines are included to accommodate newer/smaller soft-bodied dolls, as well as larger/older ones. The simple lines of the dress can have a party-ready look with plain fabric and lace, or a fun, casual style that shows off a bold print or a dainty scalloped eyelet hem. This is a project that sews up quickly, making it a great choice for on-line sellers, craft fair participants, and guardians of impatient vinyl friends. The temperature may be rising, but it won't be surprising that you definitely can-can quickly sew a summer wardrobe!
This PDF pattern is designed to fit 18" dolls such as American Girl®.
Recommended Fabrics: Light to medium-weight cottons or similar fabrics for the RIGHT side fashion fabric. Lawn, batiste, or other light weight wovens for the Lining. Not recommended for loosely woven fabrics.
- Option 1: ½ yd. of 45" wide fabric
- Option 2: ½ yd. of 45: wide fabric if the skirt is pieced OR 1 yd. of 45" fabric is the skirt is cut in one piece
- Option 3: ¼ yd. of 45: wide fabric
1. Matching thread
2. Two medium-sized snaps OR two pieces of thin ¼” wide Hook-and-Loop, about 2" long
3. A Frixion pen or other marking tool
4. One pair of small, very sharp scissors to trim seam allowances.
5. Fray Check ®
6. Optional: ¼" Graph Paper to make the Skinny Tie Belt pattern
7. Optional: a hemostat to help turn the Sash
8. Optional: a small safety pin to help turn the Bonus Skinny Tie Belt
- ½ yd. narrow lace (3/8"wide was used on the Bodice for the cover sample)
- ¾ yd. wide lace (1-1/4" wide lace was used on the Skirt for the cover sample)
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 42 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
PixieFaire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®.
I made several dresses from this pattern. It is a nice pattern with easy-to-follow instructions and is a quick sew.
Great pattern. I have adapted the pattern for a different look and the overall pattern was a great base template. Love this pattern.
The pattern was very easy to sew. Followed it through and had no problems.
Buying patterns is always easy and affordable unlike paying fabric store full prices. And I can do it all from my computer! No waiting until a pattern is on sale with Pixie Faire because the prices are reasonable. They also have cute styles to choose from. What i really like is that the patterns I buy are maintained in my account and are retrievable at a later date if I need one.