The Lizzie pattern is a cute, modern-looking design; yet appearances can be deceptive! The dress design is actually inspired by a 1930s “overall” (a kind of apron for housework that was worn over clothing) and the top and capris option owes its origin to a photo of a 1930s film star wearing a pair of silk pyjamas. So you see, some fashions never change!
The Lizzie Dress or top is a Kimono style wrap that fastens at the waist with snaps or hook and loop tape.
The sleeves are cut in one with the bodice. The waist is defined with rick rack or ribbon trim and the back has a center seam. The edges of the dress or top are bound with contrasting bias tape and a fancy button or bow is added at the waist wrap point to add further design detail.
The Capris have a side seam to ensure a closer fit, and feature split cuffs, ruffles and an elasticated waist. As at the waist of the dress or top, ribbon or rick rack trim could be used instead of the ruffles which cover the cuff seam.
This pattern allows you the opportunity to mix and match printed and plain fabrics to great effect, and is a good way to gain confidence in using bias binding and other trims.
Have fun creating your unique outfit. The only limit is your own creativity!
This PDF pattern is designed to fit 14.5 dolls such as WellieWishers™. It will also fit other 14" dolls such as Hearts For Hearts® and Melissa & Doug Mine to Love dolls.
Recommended Fabrics: This pattern has been designed for light to medium weight woven fabrics, such as cotton lawn, gingham, poplin, percale, broadcloth, quilter’s cottons or cotton blends, e.g. polycotton. The bodice is not suitable for directional prints and patterns.
View A (Wrap Dress):
- An eighth of a yard of two different fabrics, or the equivalent in large scraps left over from other dressmaking projects. If you prefer to make the dress all in one fabric you will still need an eighth of a yard.
View B (Wrap Top and Capri Pants):
- One eighth of a yard in each of three different fabrics, or the equivalent in large scraps left over from other dressmaking projects.
- 6" of three eighths of an inch wide elastic for the pants waist,
- If you prefer to use ribbon for the pants ruffle then you will need a yard of 1” wide ribbon.
For both views:
- One pack (3 yds) of 5/8” wide bias binding (folded width), or you could use home made bias binding instead if you prefer but you will need extra fabric for that.
- Ribbon or rick rack trim for the waistline of the dress or top,
- 2 snaps or a 3.5” strip of anti-snag hook and loop tape for the waist closure,
- a ribbon rose, bow or fancy button(s) to enhance the wrap closure,
- Additional lace, ribbon or rick rack trims to customize your outfit as desired.
Skill Level: Easy to Intermediate
What You Get: One 29 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
PixieFaire and the designers featured are not affiliated with WellieWishers™.
Panniers or side hoops are women's undergarments worn in the 17th and 18th centuries to...
If you've ever sewed from a Genniwren pattern, you already know that you'll receive a superb tutorial covering sewing terms, techniques, and step-by-step directions. Experienced seamstresses will appreciate the excellent directions and beautifully drafted pattern pieces, and crafters and Etsy sellers will appreciate this patern's simple construction. This is also a fantastic pattern for newer seamstresses who want to build their sewing skills and confidence. Genine Allen, the author and designer behind Genniwren, has a teacher's heart, and it shines through with each pattern she releases. Clear directions are given explaining each step, but even more significantly for newbies, she explains WHY you're doing what you're doing. Very well done--I'd give this pattern 10 stars if I could!