A Thimbles and Acorns' Ragamuffin Doll is sure to become a treasured favorite!
This adorable Waldorf style doll is made entirely from up-cycled materials such as worn out wool socks, T-shirts, and sweaters. It is specifically designed to fit in standard 18” doll clothes and shoes, which means your finished Ragamuffin can be made from items found in your closet and wear clothes from items found in your doll's closet! The head of the doll is built from the inside out, starting with a firmly wound ball of wool strips cut from old socks or sweaters and finished with a layer of T-shirt fabric that brings out the sweet little facial details.
The doll's body is sewn from the same T-shirt fabric used for the face and firmly stuffed with polyester fiberfill or wool batting to create a cuddly little friend. The arms and legs are attached at the shoulders and hips and move easily for posing. Seamed joints can be added at the knees for additional movement. The head is designed to fit a 12” wig, the standard size for most 18” dolls, or you can follow the bonus instructions for making a yarn wig from an old wool sweater.
PDF sewing pattern by Thimbles and Acorns.
PDF Pattern for 18 inch Ragamuffin Doll
- Head Core ~ Thick wool or wool blend socks. These can be any color and full of holes. If wool socks are not available, old wool or wool blend sweaters, hats, or scarves will work too.
- Head Core Cover ~ A white or flesh toned cotton stocking. This will be used as the final smoothing layer before applying the skin, so the stocking should have a solid color with an even texture.
- Skin ~ 100% cotton jersey or interlock knit tee shirt in flesh color of choice. Choose a tee shirt that has a sturdy weight to it as it will hold up better to wear and tear. Avoid synthetic blends as they tend to be too thin and are prone to snags and runs and simply don’t look as nice.
Hair ~ One wool sweater. Wool blends or acrylics can be used, if preferred.
- Head Core ~ 2 - 3 pairs men’s size wool socks
- Head Core Cover ~ One ladies size cotton sock
- Skin ~ One adult size Tee shirt
- Hair ~ One wool sweater
- Standard sewing thread, flesh toned
- Craft thread, as close to flesh toned as available
- Embroidery floss for eyes, any eye color you like, but choose a subdued shade that complements the skin
- Embroidery floss for mouth, match the skin or use a lip shade that complements the skin
- Tulle fabric that matches the hair color, two one-yard lengths of 2” wide strips
- One piece of tissue paper
- Polyester fiberfill pillow (wool stuffing is generally preferred for stuffing these dolls, but is harder to source as an up-cycled material). If the stuffing from a used pillow is matted or compressed, pull it apart repeatedly to fluff it back up. If using new stuffing, 8 ounces of polyester fiberfill OR wool stuffing.
- Sewing machine
- Ball point sewing machine needles
- Hand sewing needle
- 5” doll needle
- Needle felting needles
- Iron and pressing tools
- Blunt needle or point turner
- Stuffing tool such as a hemostat or chopstick
- DVD case
- Tape measure
- Fabric marker
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 41 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
related to the doll clothes patterns sold at Pixie Faire.