Ahoy there, me hearties! Anchors Aweigh! Full speed ahead!
Your doll will be well and truly ready for life on the ocean waves or a nautical adventure, in this sweet sailor suit pattern. Fun to wear on both land or sea, the “Ship Ahoy!” sewing pattern is a perfect fit for your 14.5” dolls such as WellieWishers™.
The pattern comprises bell bottom pants with a mock button front fastening and real pockets, a sailor top with a choice of two sleeve lengths, and a “Dixie-cup” sailor cap. The pants styling is reminiscent of 1930s vintage films, with a traditional buttoned front and a fitted back waistband.
The easy to wear pants look perfect with the sailor shirt or with teeshirts and other tops. Imagine the pants in a floral summer print, with maybe rick rack trim along the pocket edge! Fun looks can be achieved by using different types of trim. The sailor blouse would also work well with plain pants, shorts or a pleated skirt.
For an authentic naval uniform look, sew the sailor blouse using the long sleeve option and maybe use a contrast fabric for the collar.
However you choose to make the Ship Ahoy sailor outfit, your doll will love it, and the shirt and pants will fast become favorite wardrobe choices as they mix and match with other clothing too.
This pattern is also available for 18" dolls such as American Girl®.
Recommended Fabrics: The Ship Ahoy! pattern is designed for woven fabrics with a soft drape, e.g. cotton broadcloth, shirting fabrics, poplin, lawn, batiste, gingham, seersucker, quilter’s cottons, chambray or cotton blends (e.g. polycotton)
- For the short or long sleeve option you will need one fat quarter (18” x 22”) of fabric
- (optional) 10” x 10” white fabric for the contrast collar
- 2.5"strip of hook and loop tape (both sides) or three small snaps for the front closure
- Four small (0.5” / 6mm) buttons (for decoration)
- (optional) 1.5. yards of 1/8” wide ribbon or trim for the sailor collar and sleeves
- Half a yard of 3/8” wide double-faced satin ribbon for the neck tie
- One fat quarter of fabric
- 8 small (¼” / 6mm) buttons
- 6” x 11”of light weight fusible interfacing
- One fat quarter of fabric
- 3” x 14” of lightweight fusible interfacing
Shirt and Pants (e.g. for a military-style oufit)
- For the short or long sleeve option you will need one third of a yard of 44” wide fabric
- (optional) 10” x 10” white fabric for a contrast collar
- 2.5" strip of hook and loop tape (both sides) or three small snaps for the front closure
- Twelve small (0.25” / 6mm) buttons (for decoration)
- (optional) 1.5 yards of 1/8” wide ribbon or trim for the sailor collar and sleeves
- Half a yard of 3/8” wide double-faced satin ribbon for the neck tie.
- 5” x 18” of lightweight fusible interfacing
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 45 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
PixieFaire and the designers featured are not affiliated with WellieWishers™.
Panniers or side hoops are women's undergarments worn in the 17th and 18th centuries to...