The Sun Bathing Cutie One-Piece bathing suit is a miniature replica of a bathing suit worn in the 70's. The 70's original was a funky pink cotton print with a gathered bodice and flouncy ruffled skirt. This doll sized version works well in a cotton or cotton blend woven fabric. The bodice is lined, has a flirty ruffled skirt, and closes in the back with hook and loop. The two-piece version has the same ruffled bottoms with a cute bikini top. The two-piece top is reversible, giving you more options for variation. The PDF pattern also includes instructions to make a bonus wide brimmed sun hat made with burlap.
Recommended Fabrics: For Bathing Suits: Cotton or Cotton Blends For Hat: Burlap
-1/3 yard Fabric (45")
-1/3 yard 1/4" Elastic
-2 1/2" Hook and Loop (1/2" wide or less)
-1/3 yard Fabric (45")
-2/3 yard 1/4" Elastic
-1" Hook and Loop (1/2" wide or less)
For Wide Brimmed Sun Hat:
-12" x 18" Burlap Fabric
-1 1/4 yard Double Fold Bias Tape
-12 1/2" Grosgrain Ribbon (3/8" wide)
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You Get: One 29 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Sew!
I just love this pattern. I made another set of suits for the granddaughter's dolls for this summer and they worked up beautifully. They fit well. I think I had a problem last time because the printer wasn't set to "no scaling" but I don't know that for sure. I made up some hats out of burlap. The burlap was challenging, but the ease of the pattern and directions was not. They came out great!
Didn't know what to expect, but it was simple and beautiful to make.
Really cute bathing suit. Easy to make
I purchased this pattern because it could be used with woven fabrics. The instructions were very clear and it was enjoyable to sew these together. I made two of each design. I had some trouble using 1/4" elastic in the legs openings, so I switched to 1/8" and solved my problem. Also, all patterns tell you to adjust fit for your particular doll. I would suggest to definitely follow that advice here. The first one-piece I made was awfully snug. My model is a Springfield doll. I added just a smidge more to the back of the bodice for the Velcro overlap and also another 3/8" to the length of the straps for the second suit and I think it will be easier for my granddaughter to dress her doll. Thank you for reading.