Light and breezy swing-style silhouettes have roots reaching back to the 18th century Sacque Gowns first popularized in the French Court. The shape became popular again during the 1950s, and could be found in coats and jackets because the style fit well over the full skirts that were so popular during that era. The 1960s popularized the look for dresses, and today "retro" styles have once again come full-circle. This pattern features a contemporary high-low halter bodice and a loose-fitting high-low skirt that can be made as a top, a simple casual dress, or a frilly ruffled frock worn for dressy occasions such as doll tea parties. Two sets of cutting lines have been provided in the PDF pattern to fit older, larger dolls, as well as newer slimmer models. Ribbons can used as a stand-in for the halter ties, which makes this pattern a quick sewing project for craft-show vendors, Etsy sellers, and hard-working mothers and grand-mothers. For an extra perk, Bonus instructions for a doll-sized paper fan using common household items are included. After all, dolls want to stay cool during the summer, too!
Recommended Fabrics: Light to medium-weight woven fabrics with a tight weave are recommended for this pattern. A light-weight quilter's cotton with a soft drape is ideal. Avoid stiff, coarse fabrics.
- Option 1: With fabric straps: ¾ yd. of 45" fabric. With ribbon straps: 2/3 yd. of fabric.
- Option 2: With fabric straps: ½ yd. of 45" fabric. With ribbon straps: 1/3 yd. of fabric.
- Option 3: With fabric straps: 1/3 yd. of 45" fabric. With ribbon straps: 1/3 yd. of fabric.
- All Options: 1/6 yd. (or equivalent scrap piece) of lightweight fabric such as batiste or lawn for the Lining.
1. Matching thread and contrast thread
2. 2 medium-sized snaps OR approximately 2" of Hook-and-Loop
3. One pair of small, very sharp scissor to trim seam allowances.
4. Fray Check®
5. A small sturdy safety pin (approximately 3/8” x 7/8” or smaller) OR a bobby pin
7. A Frixion® pen to mark dots on the bodice
Easy Tie Option:
- 1 yd. of ¼" ribbon. If you want to add a long ribbon bow on the Front Bodice, add an extra 1/3 yd. (or 1-1/3 yd. total = 48")
- Cut two pieces or ribbon 1-1/2" long for the loops (they will be folded in half)
- Cut two lengths of ribbon 16" long for the Ties
Skill Level: Easy and Intermediate
What You Get: One 41 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
PixieFaire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®.
Excellent experience. Easy to sew. Looks great
Fantastic fit as always
Such a great pattern for summer ! Love this designer. Her instructions are always clear and the fit is perfect. I will be using this pattern a lot this summer
Love the way this dress fits. It's worth the time to add the ruffle. Clear instructions and great tips to make sewing easier.