The Liberty Jane Cropped Sweater pattern is a 18" wardrobe staple, and with a few modifications you can use it to create a cozy turtleneck sweater-dress! With the help of a ruler, you’ll add extensions to the Front and Back pieces of the pattern to make it a dress, and a simple rectangle of fabric becomes a stylish turtleneck addition.
In addition to the Cropped Sweater pattern, you’ll need:
- 1/3 yard of the main fabric and lining fabric (both must be knit fabrics)
- 5 snaps
- 1 extra sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" paper
Adapt the Pattern Pieces to Make a Dress:
- Print and cut out the pattern pieces as they are, and place the Front piece along the right long edge of a new 8 1/2" x 11" paper, and the Back piece along the left long edge of the paper, so that the lower edge of each piece is 3 1/2" from the lower edge of the paper. Place a piece of tape at the lower edge of each piece to secure them to the paper.
- Mark a point at the lower edge of the paper 3 3/4" away from the lower right corner of the paper, and a second point 3 1/2" away from the lower left corner of the paper.
- Starting from the points you marked, use a ruler to draw two vertical lines, each 1 3/4" long.
- Use the ruler to connect the lines you just drew to the corners of the original pattern pieces. One line will connect to the lower left corner of the Front piece, and the other will connect to the lower right corner of the Back piece.
- You now have your new pattern pieces! Cut along the newly drawn lines so that an extension is added to the Front and Back. Follow the pattern instructions as they are to create a simple knit dress, or continue with the instructions below to add the turtleneck.
For the Turtleneck:
- Cut a rectangle 5 1/2" long and 1 1/2" wide of the main fabric (with the grainline of the fabric parallel to the short side).
- Follow the pattern instructions except: skip Step 2 of the instructions (do not stay-stitch the neck edge) and in Step 8, do not stitch the neck edge, leave it open. Continue through Step 16.
- With right sides together, fold the turtleneck piece in half the long way, and stitch the ends with 1/4" seam allowance.
- Turn the turtleneck piece right-side-out, mark the center with a pin, then line up the center with the center front of the right side of the dress. Match the ends of the turtleneck with the finished back edges of the dress and pin in place. Just pin the turtleneck to the main fabric, so the neckline of the lining of the dress is left loose. Stitch the neck seam, stretching the turtleneck piece slightly to fit it to the neckline as you sew.
- Turn the dress inside-out through the side seam opening, then with right sides together, pin the neckline of the dress lining to the seam you just sewed. Stitch the lining to the seam allowance of the previous seam, right next to the previous stitching line (again stretching slightly to fit).
- Finish with Steps 16-19 of the pattern, and sew 2 additional snaps in place along the back as closure for the skirt section.
Now it's your turn! Choose from a variety of knit fabrics to make a dress for any season! Sweater knits are great for fall and winter, but you can also try vibrant florals and stretch lace over solid colors to create a fresh look for spring!
Enter To Win A $50 Pixie Faire Gift Card!
To enter this week's contest, simply click the link below and then enter through the giveaway widget at the bottom of the blog post, there are many things you can do to earn multiple entry points!
Contest Details: You enter through the entry form that is embedded on this page and appears just below this paragraph, if you don't see it, be sure to visit the page from your desktop or an alternate browser such as Google Chrome. It may not appear on all mobile devices. The complete rules and entry details appear on the entry form. This is not a comment contest - in other words, leaving a comment on the bottom of this page is not an official entry method. The only required entry method is to leave a comment under this post and then confirm that you did it in the contest widget. One person will receive the PF Gift Card. You can enter once, or gain multiple entries by completing the other entry methods and increase your chances of winning. Please review all Terms and Conditions on the giveaway page before entering. While we wish we could run this contest everywhere, for legal reasons it is only open to eligible residents of the U.S. and Canada, not including Rhode Island. This contest is exclusively endorsed by Liberty Jane Clothing and Pixie Faire.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
We'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and tell us - Would you make this for Fall/Winter OR Spring/Summer? What colors/fabrics would you choose?
Commenting below and confirming your entry in the widget above gives you one entry method, the other methods are listed in the widget above, be sure to enter in as many ways as you can to receive the maximum amount of entries to win the gift card!
(This post and giveaway are not endorsed or affiliated with American Girl®, no endorsement implied.)
Cinnamon & The Pixie Faire Team
Leave a comment