If you love Hawaiian and Tahitian history, the Aloha Hula Accessories are for you! Hula is more than a dance--its roots are part of the foundation of Hawaiian culture and relate history, religion, love, and beauty through symbolic movement and music.
You can make an authentic grass skirt with this pattern, by Forever 18 Inches, as well as a Lei, Wristlets and Anklets, and even a Hip Hei (Hip Belt) that imitates Ti leaves. All items are made with easily located materials that can be found at your local craft store or through on-line sources. A sewing machine isn't needed to make these craft items--just a minimal amount of basic hand-sewing is required to gather the "Ti Leaves" for the Hip Hei. The leaves decorating the belt can also be smaller, shorter, or thinner, and simply be glued onto the belt--the choice is up to you. Make an item each night while viewing your favorite chick flick!
This pattern is designed to be paired with the Forever 18 Inches Aloha Vintage Swimsuit Top and Bloomers for an authentic historical ensemble. Your doll will be ready for sun, fun, and island breezes!
This PDF crafting pattern is designed to fit 18" dolls such as American Girl®. The Aloha Vintage Swimsuit and Hula Accessories patterns are each available individually, or buy the bundled package to save!
Authentic Grass Skirt:
1. One bag of Raffia (2 oz. should be adequate) OR part of an actual grass skirt
2. One 34-37" length of cord, depending on whether you want the Skirt to sit on the waist or hips (I used Rattail Cord)
3. Fray Check (to stop fraying at the cord ends)
Crepe Paper Lei
1. Heavy Duty thread
2. One sewing needle with a large eye
3. One roll of 2" wide crepe paper for each color used to make your Lei
4. Painter's Tape
Wristlets and Anklets
1. Very narrow jewelry cord elastic
2. One tapestry needle with a large eye
3. One roll of 2" wide crepe paper for each color used to make your Anklets/Wristlets (if you make just one Lei, the remaining cut crepe paper will make two Anklets or two Wristlets)
4. Painter's Tape
Hip Hei (Hip Belt)
1. 15-18" of 3/8" wide ribbon, depending on whether you want the belt to sit on the waist or hips (I used grosgrain ribbon)
2. One sewing needle and thread (if you gather the leaves on the belt)
3. Leaves from an artificial silk plant (15-30 needed, depending on the size of your leaves and belt circumference). You'll need enough to go around your doll's hips (or waist) with a bit of overlap on each leaf.
4. Quick-drying, quick-grabbing glue
5. Small artificial silk flowers (you can cover your belt top or use just a few)
6. Small sharp scissors to trim the silk leaves if necessary
7. Small square of Hook-and-Loop tape to attach the ribbon belt
Skill Level: Easy
What You Get: One 29 page sewing pattern that you digitally download as a PDF file so you can start your project immediately! The PDF sewing pattern provides full color step-by-step illustrated instructions and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the files (example: Adobe Reader or Preview for MAC). The download link is received immediately after the transaction is complete. Print copies are NOT available.
Download, Print, Sew!
*Creating a customer account will ensure that you have the ability to access your purchased (and free) files at any time.
PixieFaire and the designers featured are not affiliated with American Girl®.
Very good. For the grass skirt, I tend to go off pattern from time to time. I substituted an artificial material, but it worked fine. I used small flowers for the lei that worked very well. Very satisfied with the pattern and instructions.
I used strands of burlap for the skirt instead of raffia. It came out very nice. Then I glued the leaves and flowers directly to the band of the skirt instead of making a separate piece. Now I need to find a way of using the burlap that is less time-consuming.
Used this pattern to make accessories for the Vintage Swimsuit Pattern. The directions were excellent especially for the hula skirt. I did some improvisation with the leis. I used silk flowers instead of the crepe paper. Found the small silk flowers at a yard sale and they were the perfect scale. Gets additive after a while! This will be part of a silent auction package for the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway in November. Just too cute!
I made these precious Aloha accessories for my granddaughter's birthday. I also made the vintage swimsuit to go with it. She loved, loved them!!! She even said " who needs the American Girl Store when you have a Grammy who can make things"!! Directions were easy to follow and the finished product was just as pictured. I have always been pleased with these patterns and love the convenience of downloading patterns and instructions. Thank you for helping me make the perfect gift for my granddaughter!!
This is adorable and very timely with the release of the Nanea Mitchell doll. The instructions were easy to follow and the results were perfection.